The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decoupling capacitors for separate Analog, Digital & Mixed supply rails (Read 732 times)
jdp
Community Member

Decoupling capacitors for separate Analog, Digital & Mixed supply rails
Oct 02nd, 2016, 7:36pm

Hi.
I need to have separate Vdd and Ground pairs for Analog, Digital & Mixed-signal domains in a Delta Sigma modulator (e.g. AVdd & AGnd, DVdd & DGnd,...). A common practice is to use the “free space” in the layout of a chip to have the decoupling capacitors.

As I have space constraint in the layout, I need to know if I need to connect decoupling capacitors between each Vdd and the corresponding Gnd ? - or any particular pair  (like AVdd & AGnd) is more prior in the need of decoupling capacitors?

-- jdp
View Profile   IP Logged
deba
Community Member

Re: Decoupling capacitors for separate Analog, Digital & Mixed supply rails
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2016, 3:01am

Yes you need to keep both Avdd and DVdd silent with respect to their grounds. In my opinion, more priority should be given to make Avdd cleaner as noise on this will effect you circuit more than the noise on Dvdd. So Avdd should have more decoupling capacitors.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sx_cut

Dresden, Germany
Re: Decoupling capacitors for separate Analog, Digital & Mixed supply rails
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2016, 2:05am

You need to keep your sensitive analog blocks and its VDD and GND away from the switching noise of digital block. If you are using SOI tech, you can separate grounds easily e.g. the substrate which is buried under a BOX layer is recommended to be connected to only one ground. You can connect it to digital ground while your analog ground can remain in BEOL. In bulk nodes substrate is the common ground and the only way is to keep digital and analog grounds far apart!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.