The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
accumulated jitter vs phase noise in PLL (Read 2766 times)
dog1
Community Member

accumulated jitter vs phase noise in PLL
Sep 27th, 2016, 5:00am

Hello,

I am reading the paper from Kim and Pual Gray PLL/DLL system noise analysis for low jitter clock synthesizer design. Here I encounter the concept accumulated jitter for the first time. It says that by accumulating jitter in different cycles of PLL, it can be amplified, compared with the jitter from the VCO. This is bugs me. Because using the normal s domain analysis of PLL, we know that the phase noise of the PLL is high pass filtered. This means that the energy of  phase noise/ rms jitter should be smaller compared with that of VCO. However, this paper indicates otherwise. Can anyone comment on that?

Additionally, does anyone know if the accumulated noise is taken into account of in jitter simulation using spectre?

Thanks

CHEN

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: accumulated jitter vs phase noise in PLL
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2016, 11:24pm

Accumulating jitter is just another name for the phase noise of the oscillator. The fact that the phase noise goes to infinity as the offset frequency goes to zero is equivalent to saying that the jitter accumulates from cycle to cycle and causes the phase to drift without bound.

But the jitter only accumulates when it is running open loop. When the loop is closed it acts to suppress the close-in noise, and equivalently, locks in the phase so it cannot drift, meaning that the accumulation of the jitter is also suppressed.

Yes, Spectre accounts for accumulating jitter.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
dog1
Community Member

Re: accumulated jitter vs phase noise in PLL
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2016, 2:35am

Hello Ken,

Thanks very much for your reply. It is good to know that accumulated jitter is just another name of jitter and phase noise. I will check again the IEEE paper and see if the calculation there correspond to normal PLL. Thanks:)

BR

CHEN

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.