The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:44pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Parallel computation in Verilog-a (Read 3631 times)
Sitansu

Parallel computation in Verilog-a
Sep 19th, 2016, 4:22am

Can I use fork-join statement in verilogA?
I want to compute following statements  simultaneously as they are independent of each other .  Can I use fork-join statement or is there any other way to compute them in parallel?

I20= $table_model(v20,v30,v40,v2_pt,v3_pt,v4_pt,i2);      
I30= $table_model(v20,v30,v40,v2_pt,v3_pt,v4_pt,i3);      
I40= $table_model(v20,v30,v40,v2_pt,v3_pt,v4_pt,i4);

Charge2= $table_model(v20,v30,v40,v2_pt,v3_pt,v4_pt,Cap_2);      
Charge3= $table_model(v20,v30,v40,v2_pt,v3_pt,v4_pt,Cap_3);      
Charge4= $table_model(v20,v30,v40,v2_pt,v3_pt,v4_pt,Cap_4);      

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Parallel computation in Verilog-a
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2016, 10:05am

No, I've never seen fork-join used in analog.  Is the table model that expensive to evaluate?  (Are you missing the table model data source?)

The only way to get them in parallel, I think, is to split them into three separate modules and expect the simulator to evaluate them in parallel.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sitansu

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2016, 10:16pm

Yes, table model is very expensive to evaluate. Time taken by table method is found to be 10 times more than expected value. I had already checked with three separate module, but that didn't help me.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2016, 5:31am

I would check with your simulator vendor to see if their R&D group can look at why the table model is so expensive.  Eg, maybe they're re-opening the file every time (not likely, but that would explain the issue).  Maybe they've never seen a 7-dimensional table, and they optimized for 2- and 3-d tables.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Sitansu

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2016, 11:15pm

Someone earlier had also asked in this forum "Why $table_model is taking more time to solve in cadence spectre"?
It is three dimensional data. not 7d. First three columns represents bias points of three different terminals, next three column represents bias point stores in table and last column is the parameter to be calculated.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2016, 8:20am

Can you make the call take only 3 inputs, if it's really only 3d?  That could make a big difference in the time to evaluate the $table_model.  If you make the last argument a constant instead of a variable, that might also help (the simulator may have to build all the tables in case the value of the last argument changes).

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.