The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about AC analysis in Cadence (Spectre) (Read 1583 times)
tenso

USA
Question about AC analysis in Cadence (Spectre)
Aug 30th, 2016, 8:49pm

This is a 2 part question.

1) Is AC analysis essentially a small signal analysis? I know that we use the "AC magnitude" parameter in Cadence when we are doing simulations for frequency response. But the spice .ac option doesn't seem to have a field for AC magnitude. Does SPICE assume that the magnitude is set to 1?

2) I was simulating the open loop gain of an op amp circuit and I used the following setup measured in Allen's book.
The resistance and cap values are chosen to be large so that the 3dB frequency is low. Sure enough, it gave the expected value of my open loop gain of around 70 dB.
When I get rid of the feedback path and ground the inverting pin, I am getting a gain of around 44dB when I run an AC analysis.  Why the difference and shouldn't open loop gain be measured with no feedback?

Capture_012.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Question about AC analysis in Cadence (Spectre)
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2016, 11:32am

1) Spice ac analysis is a small-signal analysis; the dc operating point is computed, the circuit is linearized, and then the ac magnitude(s) you specified for your sources are used to stimulate the circuit.

You can set the magnitude to whatever you want:

v1 a 0 1 ac 2

Some simulators will warn or error out if you don't have an ac magnitude set for any source.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.