The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
connecting Current starved VCO and TSPC divider (Read 2830 times)
geeksy

connecting Current starved VCO and TSPC divider
Jun 24th, 2016, 3:17am

Hi..! I am designing a PLL, i have a problem when i connect VCO and the divider(TSPC). i have some fluctuations in VCO output when i connect it with divider.  i tried connecting inverter buffer in between but it is not working too.. i cant trace out what exactly the problem is..? i think its because capacitance of TSPC (true ?).. how should i solve it.?..

I need your help Cry

Thanks..!!

View Profile   IP Logged
vroy_92

Leuven, Belgium
Re: connecting Current starved VCO and TSPC divider
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2016, 3:09am

What is the fluctuation you are talking about? Frequency is off? Then it is probably due to the capacitance. Voltage waveform is showing sudden spikes? Then it is probably due to kick-back or something else.

Regards,
V Roy
View Profile   IP Logged
geeksy

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2016, 3:13am

Thanks for the reply,
i have sudden voltage spikes, can you give some details about kick-back..?

View Profile   IP Logged
vroy_92

Leuven, Belgium
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2016, 1:28am

Lets say you your VCO is driving an inverter. When the output of the inverter is switching, through the Cgd cap, it will couple back to the input. The similar thing is happening to your case as well.
You cannot reproduce this by driving an inverter with an ideal pulse voltage source. You need to connect a source resistance in series.
You can think of connecting an isolating inverter between the inverters in your ring and the TSPC divider.

Regards,
V Roy
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.