The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issues with a Differentiator in Verilog A (Read 1822 times)
Omnidroid

Issues with a Differentiator in Verilog A
Apr 05th, 2016, 3:46pm

Hi Folks!

In order to obtain a derivative of an analog signal, if I use an ideal time derivative operator V(out) <+ ddt(V(in), there is a lot of noise observed at the output. I believe this is because this block does not have continuous states and the inability of the solver to take smaller steps causes the output to change rapidly.

Could anyone please suggest me a convenient option to eliminate this issue and yield a clean noiseless signal at the derivative output with adequate accuracy.

Thanks in advance! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Issues with a Differentiator in Verilog A
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2016, 9:29am

Perhaps you could connect a capacitor to the input, and then make the output proportional to the current into the capacitor.  The capacitor should help the simulator choose good timepoints.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.