The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Environment Vars for VCS tool (Read 2285 times)
AA

Environment Vars for VCS tool
Mar 30th, 2016, 6:55am

Hello!

Apologies if my question is trivial, but please, I'm new to verilog-a.

Currently, I'm using hspice as my verilog-a simulator, i.e., to test a verilog-a module, I'll have to
create an hspice netlist (as my test bench), and "hspice" the netlist. Works, but I wish to write
my test bench in verilog-a too. I guess it's easier to control a verilog-a test bench than an hspice one (IMHO at least).

I heard about the Synopsys VCS tool, in which you can write your test bench in verilog-a too.
I tried to start this tool by the command "vcs", but I got the error "command not found".

I guess the tool is installed in my school's linux system, but I probably need to set some environment vars to get it to work.
Also, I know the Synopsys installation path, but I could not locate where is the VCS tool inside that path.

Can anyone tell me how to setup/start the VCS tool please?

Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Environment Vars for VCS tool
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2016, 9:23am

I think VCS (and other tools that take "Verilog") as an input will simulate digital Verilog (IEEE Std 1364) and/or SystemVerilog (IEEE Std 1800).

I am not aware of a simulator that takes Verilog-A as an input netlist, and Verilog-A doesn't have a way to represent the .tran/.dc/.ac analysis cards for simulation.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.