The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 16th, 2024, 5:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
@cross event hitting zero exactly (Read 1141 times)
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
@cross event hitting zero exactly
Nov 02nd, 2015, 8:05am

I just read through the VAMS LRM 2.4, and I don't see it saying anything about what the cross event is supposed to do if the signal exactly hits zero.  Suppose the value at the previous timepoint was less than zero and on this timepoint, the value is exactly zero: should the event be triggered, or does it not trigger until the value actually goes above zero?

With any non-zero expression tolerance, the value could be said to be negative or positive.  I can imagine a pathological case where the event triggering changes the direction of the signal, so that if we say hitting zero triggers the event, then we get a signal that hits zero and turns around so that it never actually crosses (and hence the event should not have triggered) -- but if we say that hitting zero is not enough to trigger (the signal must actually cross), then the next timepoint could be beyond timetol from the actual crossing, and we would be upset that the triggering didn't happen when the signal hit zero.

signal hits zero and that's enough to trigger the event, it immediately turns around so and doesn't actually cross), but if the

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.