The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:40pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clock frequency to voltage converter (Read 2256 times)
Rosh

Clock frequency to voltage converter
Oct 05th, 2015, 6:46pm

Hello everyone,

I have a clock signal that varies from 10Mhz- 100Mhz and I need to generate a voltage proportional to the frequency as it varies in step size of 50kHz.

Is there any way to accomplish this? Would a simple RC high  pass filter solve the problem?  :(

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Re: Clock frequency to voltage converter
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2015, 12:14am

How linear does it need to be?

I think you could use an XOR gate and lowpass filter the output to get an average voltage.

The two inputs of the XOR are 1) your clock signal and 2) a delayed version of your clock signal.

This delayed version would have a delay proportional to the frequency. To do this, I would stick the clock signal through a lowpass or a highpass filter. This will provide a phase shift proportional to the frequency. Note, I am assuming the voltages are large enough such that the XOR can still process the delayed version correctly.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Clock frequency to voltage converter
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2015, 5:31pm

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/integrated-circuits-ics/pmic-v-f-and-f-...

Divide your signal down digitally before plugging into a FVC.

Other methods: count your signal over fixed period of time. Put numeric result into a DAC.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.