The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about 《Accurate and Rapid Measurement of IP2 and IP3》 (Read 4518 times)
DiegoFan

Questions about 《Accurate and Rapid Measurement of IP2 and IP3》
Sep 21st, 2015, 11:43pm

Thanks for sharing this good doc. It's very useful to me and I found this forum through this doc. I have questions about it.

1. Page7, it shows "Define po1 = (aα)^2 to be the output power at ω1," Why?  As I see, it should be " (aα+3cα^3/4+3cαβ^2/2)^2 showed in (25)
Huh
2.  Page5, Supposed, In(3), we only consider two-order terms(bu^2). In(4), we suppose α=β=A. So we can get all second order IM2 products:
DC: b*(A^2)
f1+f2:  b*(A^2)cos((w1+w2)t)
f1-f2: b*(A^2)cos((w1-w2)t).

My question is:  IM2 products are distributed against total IM2 power as:   50%(-3dB) at DC,  25%(-6dB) at f1+f2,  25%(-6dB) at f1-f2.   WHY?

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2015, 1:28am by DiegoFan »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Questions about 《Accurate and Rapid Measurement of IP2 and IP3》
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:39pm

1. you are correct, but the cubic terms will be small and are considered negligible compared to the linear term.
2. I don't understand your question. You went through the mathematics to get the distribution, and then ask why. The why is explained by the mathematics.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
DiegoFan

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2015, 1:45am

Ken Kundert wrote on Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:39pm:
1. you are correct, but the cubic terms will be small and are considered negligible compared to the linear term.
2. I don't understand your question. You went through the mathematics to get the distribution, and then ask why. The why is explained by the mathematics.

-Ken

Thanks. Based on the former 2 questions:
1. If we can skip the the cubic and squared items, it means α,β<<1. Based on this premise, we can eliminate α,β and get the final formula which shows indepedence between iIP3 and α,β. Conversely, if α,β>1, α,β cannot be eliminated in the final formula so it means  iIP3 has some relation with α,β.

However I know my conclusion above should be wrong because iIP3 is the non-linearity parameter of circuit and it should be only decided by the circuit itself. Anyway I don't know in which derivation part I make a mistake?

2. I know how to get the mathematics. But I don't know what' the reason to get the conclusion(50%,25%,25%) based on these mathematics.

Sorry for my long questions. Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2015, 2:49pm

1. No, it implies that c is small. In the regime where you measure IP3 the 3rd order component is always small compared to the first order component.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.