The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:48pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Regarding Cadence Virtuoso gpdk45nm technology spectre model file. (Read 3222 times)
PS

Regarding Cadence Virtuoso gpdk45nm technology spectre model file.
Aug 03rd, 2015, 2:10am

I am designing ampilfier circuit in cadence virtuoso using gpdk45nm technology spectre model file. I am finding difficulty in figuring out the exact mobility of either of pMOS or nMOS transistors. For example, in one of the geometrical model in file the mobility of pMOS is given as u0=0.02305+du0_p and for nMOS u0=0.01528+du0_n. In typical-typical standard process (given in file) the value for du0_p and du0_p is 0, which means that mobility of pMOS is greater than nMOS which is not possible. All the initial values of pMOS is greater than nMOS in all the geometrical models given in file. Mobility of holes can never be greater than electrons. So, how these mobility values are decided or there is another method to estimate the mobility values of nMOS and pMOS. Please reply soon.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Regarding Cadence Virtuoso gpdk45nm technology spectre model file.
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2016, 12:40pm

I think I agree that the mobility of holes should not be greater than that of electrons in a given material.  However, the channel of the pMOS is not the same material as that of the nMOS: the dopants (type and concentration) will be different.  In addition, some processes (I don't know specifically about yours), foundries sometimes apply caps that engineer the strain of the devices to improve the mobility.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
deltasigmaADC

Re: Regarding Cadence Virtuoso gpdk45nm technology spectre model file.
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2016, 4:57am

There are cases when the mobility of holes can actually be found greater than electrons. Especially in strained silicon cases and when SiGe are used, this could lead to higher hole mobility.
Also based on the orientation of the Cristal and carrier flow the mobility can change.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0961129006715903

This article will help you to know more about this

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.