The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 16th, 2024, 8:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using an attenuator after the BPF attached to the sinewave gen. in ADC Testing (Read 5209 times)
DesertFox

United States
Using an attenuator after the BPF attached to the sinewave gen. in ADC Testing
Jul 16th, 2015, 12:52pm

Hi,

For generating low distortion single tone for testing ADCs, the "Data Conversion Handbook" suggests using a 6dB attenuator after the BPF/LPF connected to the sinewave generator, as it isolates the ADC from the output of the filter. Can anybody tell me why I would need this, as long as I use a termination resistor of 50ohm at the input of the ADC? I am attaching the figure.

Thanks

Capture_008.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Using an attenuator after the BPF attached to the sinewave gen. in ADC Testing
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2015, 1:55pm

No good reason seen - they just seem to be accounting for the termination impedance and its presence as a voltage divider perhaps? (That's speculation)

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
DesertFox

United States
Re: Using an attenuator after the BPF attached to the sinewave gen. in ADC Testing
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2015, 2:43pm

Rt is working as the termination resistor. All the book says is the 6dB attenuator isolates the ADC from the output of the filter. I am not sure what is the reason for isolating, or why they are isolating.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2015, 10:54pm

books have mistakes and say incorrect things. I do not see a need for it either.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
nrk1
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2015, 7:11pm

If the total impedance presented to the filter is exactly 50 ohm,  the attenuator does nothing. But, with errors in termination, say due to input cap of dut, attenuator reduces mismatch for the filter. This maybe a concern for the response of the passive filter's response. Also, it reduces the signals (say kickback) from the adc going back into the filter/signal generator.

DesertFox wrote on Jul 16th, 2015, 12:52pm:
Hi,

For generating low distortion single tone for testing ADCs, the "Data Conversion Handbook" suggests using a 6dB attenuator after the BPF/LPF connected to the sinewave generator, as it isolates the ADC from the output of the filter. Can anybody tell me why I would need this, as long as I use a termination resistor of 50ohm at the input of the ADC? I am attaching the figure.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2015, 1:19pm

I agree with nrk1. The sole purpose of the attenuator is to account for any mismatches due to not perfect 50 Ohm termination.
In most cases PCB designers add these attenuators automatically without really paying attention if they are required or not.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2015, 7:04am

Hi all,

as I recall, we did this all the time when measuring switch non-linearity. Because the linearity requirements were so tight, it was important that the generator not be affected by its load. So I would add to what others have said that it makes sure the load presented to the generator is linear. The other point by nrk1 is also important, that it isolates the generator from any kind of kick-back signals. Remember that the generator itself is some kind of active circuit with its own IIP3 etc...

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.