The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 6:10am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low Frequency Oscillation in PLL Control Voltage (Read 4833 times)
Faye

Low Frequency Oscillation in PLL Control Voltage
Jun 16th, 2015, 11:04am

Hi all, I am designing a PLL at 1GHz with output tracking the input (no divider). I am using a PFD/CP with RC//C loop filter, and my VCO is a delay-line type ring oscillator. I chose a phase margin=60 degrees, damping factor zeta=1, the loop bandwidth=25MHz, and the natural frequency=10MHz.

When I went to Cadence transistor-level simulation, I could always see when the control voltage approaches the voltage required for locking (close to 0.7V in my case), it always has a low frequency ripple on it. I've attached the settling behavior of the control voltage. The ripple is about 20MHz and has a peak-peak amplitude of about 40mV.

I've tried to replace the VCO with an ideal VCO and the loop locked quietly with only high frequency ripple (frequency same as the reference) of about 1mV, so I assume the problem comes from my VCO. But my VCO works good individually as a block with a good linearity in the range of interest. I also tried to add two vcvs as buffers before and after the VCO in the PLL, but that didn't help.

I don't quite understand where the low frequency (20MHz) ripple comes from and how to solve the problem. I will appreciate if you can give any inputs or suggestions!

Faye

snapshot_009.png
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Low Frequency Oscillation in PLL Control Voltage
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2015, 2:39pm

Hi,
Looks like your bandwidth is bit high or some problem with your loop filter parameters. Please check once. What is your reference frequency,KVCO,ICP,cfilter.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Faye

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2015, 8:28am

Hi Raj,

The reference frequency is 1GHz, Kvco is pretty high at about 1.6GHz*2pi/V since it is a ring oscillator. Icp is 50uA and R=1.5K, C1=20pF, C2=2pF. The bandwidth is about 25MHz based on the parameters.

Thanks,
Faye

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2015, 1:50pm

OK, so you oscillation is close to your loop BW - there is probably a message in that.

I would go through your gain-phase numbers again and see if you got phase margin, or a block parameter that is not correct.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2015, 4:06pm

Faye wrote on Jun 17th, 2015, 8:28am:
Hi Raj,

The reference frequency is 1GHz, Kvco is pretty high at about 1.6GHz*2pi/V since it is a ring oscillator. Icp is 50uA and R=1.5K, C1=20pF, C2=2pF. The bandwidth is about 25MHz based on the parameters.

Thanks,
Faye

Good grief.  
First, look at your architecture.  
Do you really want a DLL instead of a PLL?

If you *really* want a PLL with PD/CP/LF, then there are some well known ratios of Refclk to LF bandwidth, which I'm pretty sure are being violated here.

Last, think about your KVCO.  
You didn't spec your supply, but say it's 1V.  You don't want to operate near the rails.  You didn't spec your pull range, but say it's +/- 100 MHz.  So you'd want a little more than 200 MHz / V, about a factor of 5-10 less than you have now.  Excess gain will pick up noises.

Wave
Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
AZADBAKHT
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2015, 2:34pm

Hi,

sir wave was right.
in the first time you should check out your VCO, because of for having best spur at the output LO, the KVCO must be about 100-200-MHz. additionally, the PFD/CP can't offer good dead-zone under steady-state with this Fref!! (Fref must be about less than of 100-MHz), so you should uses the divider in the feedback path(in the first time you can uses the ideal Flip-Flop in ahdlLib library). at the end, you should chose B.W under 100-KHz (this issue is very important).
for speed up to your design you can refer this website and calculate your LPF as online!
Web address:
 http://www.circuitsage.com/pll/pll.htm
(note that if you want to do transistor level simulation, you need to about >10 hour for done simulation!!)

i hope to be able to do your help

Regards,
Azadbakht

View Profile milad12333   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.