The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:53am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL/TX debugging at the board level (Read 2518 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

PLL/TX debugging at the board level
May 22nd, 2015, 3:24am

Hi all,

I am working on an RF transmitter board with an on-chip PLL and TX. I did not design the chip, and the data sheet is extremely sketchy on the details inside. Unfortunately, the TX output shows a spur at approximately 1.33x the output channel frequency, and the amplitude is independent of the signal level (actually if I back off the TX power by 20 dB, the spur level drops, but above that it is fairly constant).

My question is, what would be a good technique to isolate the source of the problem. I am thinking it is likely to be a supply/grounding issue. I can probe the supply caps for the TX or the PLL, and if absolutely necessary, I could probably change some of the capacitor values here and there. I have tried probing the PLL supply caps hoping that the small disturbance of the probe would cause a change in the spur level, but so far no luck.

Any suggestion is appreciated. BTW, as we are working on small quantities, its unlikely that the chip manufacturer will give us much support.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: PLL/TX debugging at the board level
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2015, 8:12am

if you change the TX frequency does it move with the TX freq?

If so, probably inherent to the design of the IC.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: PLL/TX debugging at the board level
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2015, 5:39pm

Yes it does. Problem is the chip is failing FCC. I have a PA after the chip to boost the output power. Perhaps the chip isn't designed to output that much power......

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.