The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verilog-A: 2-port passive device. Z=1/(As)^3 (Read 3448 times)
CMOS-Tangram

Verilog-A: 2-port passive device. Z=1/(As)^3
Feb 01st, 2015, 1:42pm

Dear all,

I started learning Verilog-A some months ago for a specific objective. I have programmed the 90% of a system formed by different devices, but there’s a punctual device that I can’t solve.

I want to program a 2-port passive device. For example, if the impedance of an inductor is Ls, and of a capacitor 1/Cs, the impedance of this dispositive should be as follows: Z = 1/(As)^3. Where A is a constant like C or L.

I have tried several verilog-A codes, but no one has worked. I suppose that this is related to my inexperience in the verilog-A programming. I will appreciate any tip or solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Verilog-A: 2-port passive device. Z=1/(As)^3
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2015, 12:18pm

I don't know what a punctual device is, or what dispositive means, but I do know that you cannot combine inductors and capacitors and get an impedance of Z = 1/(As)3.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
CMOS-Tangram

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 6:51am

I want to program in verilog-a this device since is not possible to obtain that impedance by combination of capacitors and inductors. The temporal response of this device should be as follows:

V=1/A · (∫Idt)3

or

I=d/dt (V*A)1/3

I have tried this code:

------------------------------------
module nonlin(p,n);

inout p,n;
electrical p,n;

parameter real A=1;

analog

I(p,n)<+ddt(pow((V(p,n)*A),(1/3)));

endmodule

------------------------------------

The programmed device is not working properly. Is there another way to program it?

*I'm Sorry Ken. The term "punctual" has been a translation error. (English is not my first language)

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 12:37pm

In your first message you said you wanted an impedance that was proportional to 1/s3. In your second, you said you wanted a voltage that was proportional to q3 (the integral of i is q). Those are two completely different things.The first is linear with third order dynamics, the second is nonlinear with first order dynamics.

In your first message you indicated you wanted a two port, but then you only specified its impedance.

Perhaps you should take some time and develop a clear understanding of what you need. It will be much easier to help you if you can convey a clear and consistent request.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.