The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
verilog ams rlc circuit (Read 4476 times)
ranjang

india
verilog ams rlc circuit
Jan 14th, 2015, 11:07pm

Hi,

I am just writing code series rlc circuit like below.

module series_rlc(p,n);
inout p,n;
electrical p,n;
parameter r=1;
parameter l=1u;
parameter c=1u;
real vr;
real vl;
real vc;
analog
begin
V(p,n)<+r*I(p,n);
vr=r*I(p,n);
V(p,n)<+ l*ddt(I(p,n));
vl=(l*ddt(I(p,n)));
V(p,n)<+(1/c)*idt(I(p,n));
vc=(1/c)*idt(I(p,n));
end

But when I check vl in waves it is always showing zero.
I've two questions
1>why the values of vl is zero if I apply a dc or pulse voltage source with enough high and low pulse (around 10 us high and 10 us low on p)
2>what will this vr,vl,and vc values display will it give voltage across resistor,voltage across inductor,voltage across capacitor individually or something else.

GAURAV
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: verilog ams rlc circuit
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2015, 12:02pm

Quote:
   V(p,n)<+(1/c)*idt(I(p,n));

Did you read the LRM's restrictions on idt() ?

Quote:
When used in DC or IC analyses, idt() returns the initial condition (ic) if specified. If [the initial condition is] not specified, the idt operator must be contained within a negative feedback loop that forces its argument to zero. Otherwise the output of the idt operator is undefined.

I'm also not quite sure what your simulator is doing; you have specified your circuit as, effectively, a current-controlled voltage source.  Then, you say you "apply a dc or pulse voltage."  This creates a topology error, because you have a loop of rigid branches (voltage sources).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2015, 5:05pm

This appears to be a valid implementation of a series RLC. There should be no topology errors if you drive it with a voltage source, nor should there be any concerns about the initial condition on the capacitor, though you can specify an initial condition if you like.

As to why vl is zero, it should not be if I(p,n) is changing. It is easy to check whether the results are correct. To do so, simply observe I(p,n), calculate the time derivative, multiply by l, and see it matches the value of vl.

-Ken

ranjang

india
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 4:46am

Hi Ken,
I see that ddt(I(p,n)) is zero even though I(p,n) is not constant.

I am running the simulation with  cadence simulator(ncsim+ultrasim command line) with testbench.scs file like below

simulator lang=spectre

ahdl_include "series_rlc.vams"

V1  (p 0)  vsource type=pulse val0=0 val1=3 delay=0 rise=0.05n fall=0.05n width=15u period=30u
simulator lang=spice
.tran 1ns 100us

GAURAV
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2015, 1:44pm

Try it without ultrasim.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.