The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cannot access non-graphical X server (Read 6229 times)
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Cannot access non-graphical X server
Nov 03rd, 2014, 11:01am

I am trying to run 'virutoso -nograph' and I get the following errors:
Code:
Trying another display...
*WARNING* Could not open display hostname:89.  If no X server is running for this display,
*WARNING* remove the file /tmp/.X11-unix/X89: owner user, last modified Mon Nov  3 10:14:00 2014

*WARNING* Giving up after trying 10 displays.
*WARNING* Unable to connect to a non-graphical X Window Display server.
*WARNING* Try using the -vncTenbase option or the CDS_XVNC_TENBASE environment variable to specify a different set of 10 displays. 

The irony of this is that I can start virtuoso fine when I don't ask for -nograph mode (when I ask it not to use the X server, it fails saying it cannot find the xserver, otherwise it works without problems).

I have tried searching with Google: no luck finding anything on this error message from Cadence or on non-graphical X servers in general.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get virtuoso talking to the 'non-graphical X Window Display server', whatever that is?

August

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Cannot access non-graphical X server
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2014, 2:38am

I suggest that you ask your question at http://community.cadence.com/cadence_technology_forums/f/38 or contact Cadence support at http://support.cadence.com.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2015, 7:53am

My favorite glitch is the dialog boxes that come up on these vnc sessions when I start Cadence in -nograph mode.  It's impossible to click "OK" on them, so the skill code just hangs.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2015, 9:15am

I did eventually work out my issue. The problem was with the hostname for the computer. /etc/hostname did not contain the full hostname; it contained butternut, when it should have contained butternut.squash.com. Virtuoso was trying to open a VNC session on butternut.squash.com, but because /etc/hostname only contained butternut, it was not able to determine that butternut.squash.com was the local host.

August

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.