The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Single lipo cell low voltage load disconnect circuit (Read 1566 times)
Northy

Single lipo cell low voltage load disconnect circuit
Oct 02nd, 2014, 3:48am

Has anyone made a circuit that disconnects a single cell lipo when it's voltage gets down to ~3.0V to prevent over-discharge? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it for the following system (it's only a simple block diagram):

Image attached

The system can be powered either from the USB port (also used for charging up the lipo) or from the single lipo cell.

The device could be sat unused for a long length of time, and it's possible that the micro in sleep mode eventually discharges the lipo down until it's internal low voltage protection trips. Now that's fine from a safety point of view, but now the battery can not ever be re-charged as the built in protection PCB has disconnected it from the wires connecting it to the circuit.

To try and prevent that I'd like to have an extra layer of protection and disconnect the battery from the circuit at 3.0/3.1V ish. Then there is just the voltage monitor circuit discharging the battery, which should mean the battery doesn't get discharged down to the actually batteries low voltage cut off protection too quickly.

Once in this state, and the battery is disconnected, I'd like it to latch in that state so if the voltage creeps back up with no load on it it doesn't re-connect.

Once the device is plugged into USB again, the circuit will power from USB and the uP will know the battery has been disconnected (battery voltage is monitored by an A2D at the input to the board), so it will reset the latch in the monitor circuit and re-connect the battery so the charger IC can re-charge the battery.

All this is to hopefully stop batteries being damaged when units are not used for a long time.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks,
G

Simple_block.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Single lipo cell low voltage load disconnect circuit
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2014, 11:23am

your built into the battery pack safety circuit should be able to deal with that. thye will allow you to charge even when the battery has descended below the lower voltage limit

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Northy

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2014, 2:25am

So even though the battery has dropped below the low voltage threshold, if I connect a charger it will re-connect the battery to be able to charge it again?

Looks like I'll have to try that.

G

View Profile   IP Logged
Northy

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2014, 6:16am

Also, the data sheet recommends not discharging lower than 2.75V, but the built in protection only disconnects the battery 2.4V  :(

G

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2014, 1:04pm

Northy wrote on Oct 3rd, 2014, 6:16am:
Also, the data sheet recommends not discharging lower than 2.75V, but the built in protection only disconnects the battery 2.4V  :(

G

And that is why it is called a safety circuit.

Your system charger controller should be designed to cut off at the low end at around 2.75, and the safety circuit only takes action if you have gone beyond that.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Northy

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2014, 6:09am

I've looked extensively at the dedicated chips available but I haven't found one that latches, and I'd really like this circuit to latch off and disconnect the battery. I don't really want the no load voltage creeping back up and reconnecting the battery.

I know there is protection built into the battery pack, but I'd like to use that as a last resort. I'd really like to disconnect the battery at a higher voltage to give the device more shelf time before the battery gets deeply discharged and potentially damaged.

There is a slight complication as to where I connect the charger to the battery. I can see how it would be possible to connect as shown, but the charger I am using is the bq24073 that you connect the battery and USB power to and it sorts out the power supplied to the rest of the power supply.

I've been prototyping a little circuit (I've attached a picture of it and added system blocks around it to explain it better) and it seems to work, but it now raises some other questions.

The MAX835 monitors the voltage, disconnects the battery and latches off. I've now connected the clear line to the +5V from the USB, because it won't be possible to charge the battery again without connecting the device to a USB 5V source, so that might as well clear the latch and re-connect the battery.

However I've realised that because of the charger used the load switch needs to sit between the charger and the battery. So..... to charge the battery current needs to flow backwards through the PFET. I've tried it and it seems to work, but I'm not sure it's the best solution.

So is reverse current through the PFET a bad idea? Will it damage it?
Would a dedicated load switch be better?

I'd also like to minimise the quiescent current that the monitor circuit uses as ultimately once the battery is disconnected that is what affects the 'life' of the battery.

I'm really enjoying working on this Smiley but I find myself just spending endless time going round and round in circles looking at data sheets!

Thanks,

G

Load_switch_circuit.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.