The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difference between mmsim 13 and mmsim11? PDK limitation? (Read 5153 times)
Jacki

Difference between mmsim 13 and mmsim11? PDK limitation?
Sep 22nd, 2014, 2:36am

Hello,

I am doing transient simulation of my design with ic 6.16, mmsim 13. But sometimes I get the errors as shown below. When I change to mmsim 11, for the same simulation, I don't have any error reports.
   I do set 64 bit binary when I am using mmsim 13.
   My question is if there is any special setup I should do when I am using mmsim 13? Is it possible that the design kits from the foundry don't support mmsim 13? What could cause the problem?

Error found by spectre during initial setup.
   ERROR (CMI-2049): I0.I0.I33.C0.r11 of esdndsx: Value of `weff' should be greater than zero.
   ERROR (CMI-2049): I0.I0.I50.C0.r11 of esdndsx: Value of `weff' should be greater than zero.
   ERROR (CMI-2049): I0.I0.I42.C0.r11 of esdndsx: Value of `weff' should be greater than zero.

Appreciate if experienced people can help.
   Thank you.
   -Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Difference between mmsim 13 and mmsim11? PDK limitation?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 5:43am

Jacki,
you give very little information, so we can only guess.
Many years ago, I had a similar effect between Spectre & AMS, caused by a string in the netlist where a number was needed. One tool would read "10" as 10, the other as some strange value....
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 9:29am

boe wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014, 5:43am:
Jacki,
you give very little information, so we can only guess.
Many years ago, I had a similar effect between Spectre & AMS, caused by a string in the netlist where a number was needed. One tool would read "10" as 10, the other as some strange value....
- B O E

Hello B O E,

Thank you for your reply. I want to give more information, but I don't know where the problem is, so I cannot provide more information, and just ask generally. I think the problem only happens when I add the IOPADs / Digital cells from CORELib in the design kits.
   - Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2014, 2:32pm

I think boe was suggesting that you show the netlist, particularly an example line involving esdndsx.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2014, 2:17am

Jacki wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014, 2:36am:
... My question is if there is any special setup I should do when I am using mmsim 13? Is it possible that the design kits from the foundry don't support mmsim 13? ...
That should not be necessary. A design kit and models that work with MMSIM 11 should also work with MMSIM 13.
The behavior you describe is IMO probably a bug - be it in the simulator, the models or the design kit.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2014, 5:47am

Hello B O E and Geoffrey_Coram,

Thank you for your comments. I heard somebody had the quite similar problem with the early version of mmsim 13, but when they changed to the later version of mmsim 13, then everything was fine.
   -Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.