The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 11:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Analog delay (Read 4704 times)
Lo

Analog delay
Sep 21st, 2014, 3:57am

I am trying to build a simple ciruit to delay an FMCW signal (frequency range of [1-10] Ghz) with mutiple of 50  pico second (ps). A bank of delays with mutiple of 50 ps, i.e., 50 ps, 100 ps, 150 ps, ...,.

Any suggestion preferebly with RFIC,MMIC, or even other discrete componenets highly apprecited!
Lo

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Analog delay
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2014, 6:45pm

Hi,

Is your signal a broadband signal (1-10GHz)? Are you working at board level? Does the delay need to be constant across frequency (what range?). How accurate does it need to be?

Off the top of my head, you could look into using transmission lines which bend back and SPNT switches to choose the delay. The lines will be quite long, but I think the delay should be quite frequency independent. You can also look into designing RLC all-pass filters (again with SPNT to switch between them). If it were on chip you could look into delay-locked loops or even just banks of inverters.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 11:26am

The signal they are trying to delay (FMCW???) I am guessing is a continuous wave frequency modulated signal, but it would be useful to know if it is logic edges they are trying to delay or some signal where the phase relationship of the harmonics are important to preserve. Depending on that little peice of information, the methods to use are totally different things.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lo

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2014, 2:28pm

Hi Aaron,

The signal is a chirp signal sweeping few GHz bandwidth. We work at board level and the delay doesn't need to be constant across frequency but adjustable in some steps for a certain range.
An accuracy below 20-50 ps is sufficient!  

Thanks for the hints,
Lo

View Profile   IP Logged
Lo

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2014, 2:31pm

Hi Loose-electron,

Your guess is perfectly correct and the phase relationship of the harmonics are is required to be preserved.

Thanks for the reply,
Lo

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2014, 9:11pm

what you are looking for is commonly called an electromagnetic delay line.

some are available as components off the shelf, or you can fashion your own using LC networks.

Time to go do some component research.

See:

http://www.allenavionics.com/Info_Srv/SpecifyingDelayLinesPage3.htm

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/inductors-coils-chokes/delay-lines/1978...

DigiKey can probably provide what you need.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Lo

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2014, 1:16pm

Great, thanks!
Lo

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.