The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Contradictory results: pnoise+noise sparation v/s pac or transient (Read 5232 times)
mixed_signal

Contradictory results: pnoise+noise sparation v/s pac or transient
Aug 27th, 2014, 12:48pm

Hi,

I am simulating a circuit with nonlinearity, time variance & frequency translation. The output Vout=(V1) + (V2) .

I used pnoise+noise separation to find transfer function from drain noise of M1 to  V1, V2 and Vout i.e. TF1, TF2 and TF and I find that TF=TF1 - TF2 which I want because it cancels M1 noise.

But when I model drain noise of M1 with a current source as shown in figure, and perform pac analysis, I do not see cancellation and I find TF=TF1+TF2

I also modelled it with small sinusoidal current and did transient, performed FFT and found TF=TF1+TF2

I am doubtful which one to trust. Can pac and transient do the job of pnoise OR it is a mistake?

NTF.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Re: Contradictory results: pnoise+noise sparation v/s pac or transient
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2014, 5:35pm

Hi,
The circuit is time variant.
Can we always trust transient analysis? Is it always superior to pss+pac or pss+pnoise ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2014, 11:21am

Always is perhaps too strong, but generally PSS/PAC is more accurate than transient. The reason is that in PSS/PAC the large and small signals are treated separately. The circuit is analyzed with only the large signals present, converted in to a linear time varying representation, and then the small signal is applied. In transient, both the large and small signals are present simultaneously, so errors created by the large signals can interfere/corrupt the small signals.

Your original questions are written in a confusing manner, and so are difficult to respond to. My initial response is that the problem is user error. Some where or some how you are mis-interpreting something and that the pnoise result is most likely the correct result because it is more canned and so involves less user involvement and interpretation. But it is hard to know.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2014, 9:33am

Hi Ken,
Thank you very much for your reply.

The system behaviour in a nut shell:
Noise at RF of transistor M1 gets downconverted to IF at port 1 and port 2 with opposite phase. When added the noise cancels at IF at the output.

Would you suggest any simulation to check if noise cancellation is occurring? I am worried because pnoise is contradicting with pac and pxf as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2014, 10:51am

Hi Ken,

I have attached a revised block diagram. It is a mixer with flo=2.4GHz, frf=2.405GHz to 2.520MHz fif=5MHz to 120MHz

It cancels downconverted noise of M1 at IF.

pnoise was used to find noise source gain from M1 (RF)  to outputs (IF).

pxf was used to find transimpedance gain from modelled noise current source (RF) to outputs (IF)

blockdiagram.png
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2014, 10:52am

pnoise outputs

pnoise_edited.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2014, 10:52am

pxf outputs

pxf_edited.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2014, 1:52pm

Hi Ken,

The problem is solved!! Smiley
You are correct! pnoise result is correct and noise cancels! Smiley

The problem is a  bug with vcvs model in analogLib. The ideal adder was implemented using two vcvs stacked. pnoise analysis preserved the phase information of signals during addition & gave correct result.

pac, pxf, transient+fft could not preserve phase info and always added the two TF irrespective of phase.

I replaced the adder with a real adder using MOS and it is resolved!!
Thanks again for your reply. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.