The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 6:56am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem on simulating VerilogA comparator model with PSS analysis (Read 3313 times)
AMSA
Community Member

Problem on simulating VerilogA comparator model with PSS analysis
Aug 19th, 2014, 7:20am

Hi guys,

I never used VerilogA. I am trying to learn that so that I can design a feedback loop using this.

I wrote a small code from a Verilog A tutorial for a comparator.

After implement it, I tried to simulate a simple circuit - Vpulse shaping a triangle wave and a vdc source to see what would appear at the output.

I used a PSS analysis and an error appeared:

It says that PSS doesn't support behavioral models with hidden states. Is that true? There is any way to escape from this error and use PSS analysis?

What is hidden states?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Problem on simulating VerilogA comparator model with PSS analysis
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2014, 10:40am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
AMSA
Community Member

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2014, 2:32pm

Hi Ken, I have read what you have posted but to be honest it didn't said nothing to me. That is, I didn't understand how to take the hidden state from the comparator that I was trying to design.

If you could tell me how to change my comparator code in order to eliminate that hidden state I would Appreciate:

And if you don't mind please feel free to highlight the change?

Regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2014, 10:47am

I recommend that you not post code using images. It makes it harder to quote the code, which is often needed to help you.

You should change your model as follows:

Code:
analog begin
    @(cross(V(in)-thresh))
	  ;
    V(out) <+ (V(vdd) - V(vss))*transistion((V(in) > thresh), 0, tt) + V(vss);
end 

This will fix several problems in your model, one of which is the hidden state problem. The other problems are:
1. It would output the wrong value at the start of the simulation (before a threshold crossing occurs)
2. You should never pass a continuous signal (in this case either V(vdd) or V(vss)) through a transition function.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.