The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Virtuoso & Verilog/VHDL (Read 3600 times)
tdlrali

Virtuoso & Verilog/VHDL
Jul 23rd, 2014, 7:10am

Hi all,

I'd like to use either Verilog or VHDL to describe testbenches in Virtuoso (IC6.1.5). I've successfully simulated a VerilogA module in spectre, but still I have a few questions.

1) Does Spectre only support VerilogA? Do I have to use the AMS simulator (from IUS) to use VerilogAMS / VHDL-AMS?
2) What's the status/support of the different languages - VerilogA, VerilogAMS, VHDL-AMS? Ideally, I'd like to use VHDL-AMS, because I personally like VHDL better than Verilog.
3) Can I use generic port widths? The Virtuoso Schematic Editor does not seem to support this...

Thanks for your help!

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Virtuoso & Verilog/VHDL
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2014, 1:30am

tdlrali wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014, 7:10am:
Hi all,

I'd like to use either Verilog or VHDL to describe testbenches in Virtuoso (IC6.1.5). I've successfully simulated a VerilogA module in spectre, but still I have a few questions.

1) Does Spectre only support VerilogA? Do I have to use the AMS simulator (from IUS) to use VerilogAMS / VHDL-AMS?
Yes.
Quote:
2) What's the status/support of the different languages - VerilogA, VerilogAMS, VHDL-AMS? Ideally, I'd like to use VHDL-AMS, because I personally like VHDL better than Verilog.
In principle, Cadence supports both Verilog-A(MS) and VHDL-AMS. However, not everything that is in the LRMs will be supported (and there may be differences between the two language groups).
Quote:
3) Can I use generic port widths? The Virtuoso Schematic Editor does not seem to support this...
I do not think you can do this with Virtuoso Schematic Editor. But if you do not need a schematic (i.e. use such cells in HDL code only), you can.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.