The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Parameters in VerilogA and VerilogAMS (Read 2923 times)
Srinivas_BS

Using Parameters in VerilogA and VerilogAMS
Jun 25th, 2014, 1:06am

Hi All,

I have a lot of parameters in my verilogams code. Is there any way in which I can associate each port of a module with a parameter. By this I mean, can we create a provision where, a user instantiates a symbol (created from verilogams code) in the schematic, and as he makes connection to a port, clicks by its side and edits the parameter associated with that port. Such a provision would make my model look neat.

If someone could throw light on handling modeling problems involving a lot of parameters, it would be of great help.

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Using Parameters in VerilogA and VerilogAMS
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2014, 10:08am

Hi Srinivas_BS,
Quote:
... can we create a provision where, a user instantiates a symbol (created from verilogams code) in the schematic ...
Strictly, this is a question about the schematic entry tool you use (whatever that is)...
I don't know any V-A/A-AMS support for this.
I would suggest to reconsider the code (maybe there is a different approach that needs fewer params) or consider using a V/V-A/V-AMS netlist to instantiate your model.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Srinivas_BS

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2014, 9:08pm

Hi boe,

Thanks for your feedback. I am using Cadence tools, Virtuoso schematic editor. I want to model a resistor ladder, where I want to manually specify the value of resistors during instantiation. And the number of resistors in the chain itself gets passed as a parameter.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2014, 9:08am

Hi Srinivas_BS,
you should be able to find a practical implementation for instantiating your resistor ladder model in another block written in V/V-A/V-AMS, but unfortunately, I don't know any practical solution to this problem with Virtuoso Schematic editor.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2014, 7:45am

Srinivas_BS wrote on Jun 25th, 2014, 9:08pm:
... I want to manually specify the value of resistors during instantiation. And the number of resistors in the chain itself gets passed as a parameter.

This would seem to require a symbol that dynamically resizes itself to have the required number of ports.  I think you have to figure that out in your schematic editor; Verilog-AMS can't help you with the symbol.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.