The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:06am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
difference between vdc and vsin component in cadence (Read 3470 times)
IanX

difference between vdc and vsin component in cadence
Apr 24th, 2014, 7:40pm

hello.

I have been confused for a long time. In analogLib, there are vdc and vsin. both of these component have the AC magnitude parameter.
In ac analysis,  either of these component can be used.  
What's the difference? Is it the same ?
I don't think so. But I can not tell the difference.
I guess one of the differences is that the frequency could not be set in the vdc component. Does it has a significant influence in dc or ac analysis since we can do frequency sweep.

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: difference between vdc and vsin component in cadence
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2014, 11:55am

IanX,
the difference is the behavior at transient sim: vdc is a DC source, while vsin is a sine source.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: difference between vdc and vsin component in cadence
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2014, 12:14am

They are both the same component in spectre. Both end up being vsource in the netlist. The reason for having multiple sources are largely historical. Many years back we (Cadence) added three comprehensive sources in analogLib, called vsource, isource, and port - which correspond more directly to the components in spectre. These then can access the complete (assuming they're up to date) set of features of the sources in the simulator - whereas each of the individual sources (vdc, vsin, vac, vpulse, vpwl, vpwlf etc) only give you access to a subset. Also, it makes changing a source from sine to pulse very easy - just a few parameters to change.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.