The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 3:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why cmos relaxation RC oscillator is frequency stable over varying temperature? (Read 4067 times)
kanz

why cmos relaxation RC oscillator is frequency stable over varying temperature?
Apr 04th, 2014, 3:29am

cmos relaxation RC oscillator was found to be frequency stable when i swept temperature ranging from -40 degree to 100 degree.when i plotted propagation delay of the cmos inverters which i used for this design,it was found to be varying with temperature sweep.Why the change in propagation delay not affecting the frequency of operation ? In the case of ring oscillator ,propagation delay is varying much and it is affecting the frequency ..what point am I missing here ? please help Sad

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: why cmos relaxation RC oscillator is frequency stable over varying temperature?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2014, 5:26am

Kanz,
the frequency depends mainly on the RC time constant, I suppose...
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
analog_rf

Universe
Re: why cmos relaxation RC oscillator is frequency stable over varying temperature?
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 5:38am

There could be some kind of cancellation hapenning. I suppose you are using comparators, could be possible that comparators(I/C or RC kind of osc's) are slowing down at 100c and your reference current is increasing at 100c,effectively ending up compensating each other.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2014, 7:13am

Hi,
what's your architecture? is it based smitt-trigger and inverting amp or some capacitor charging and comparator?? I didn't understand why inverter delay comes into picture?

@analog_rf..Can you explain your reply bit more clear..Usually compactor is much faster than actual oscillator delay, so I don't think that makes lot of diff.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
analog_rf

Universe
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2014, 6:03am

Faster is a relative term. As the Osc frequency reaches say tens of Mhz Comparator delay begins to play a role (say 20Mhz or more).Basically if without applying any cancellation techniques, you end up getting very good freq accuracy, then you are probably seeing some cancellation (eg:comp delay more at 100c causing output freq to decrease and Iref  increasing at 100c). One method to isolate causes in such a scenario would be to plot Shockedsc freq vs Temp for atleast 5 temperature points and you would see the freq variation peaking at a point other than 100c.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.