The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Noise Simulation of Frequency Multiplier Using Jitter/Timedomain Noise (Read 3350 times)
Dave Rittel

Phase Noise Simulation of Frequency Multiplier Using Jitter/Timedomain Noise
Apr 01st, 2014, 7:06am

Hello All,

I have simulated the phase noise of frequency dividers in the past numerous times using the method defined in Chapter 6 of "Predicting the Phase Noise and Jitter of PLL-Based Frequency Synthesizers" by Ken Kundert.

I believe that I could use the same method to run the phase noise on a frequency multiplier, but I'm having trouble finding a reference.  Does anybody have experience running phase noise simulations on frequency multipliers or know of a reference?

I'm basically following the directions as described in the frequency divider chapter (Chapter 6) with a couple changes.  I'm doubling a 100MHz input to a 200MHz output.  The beat frequency is 100MHz, and I'm doing a relative sweeptype in pnoise and looking at the noise at the 2nd harmonic.  Other than that, I believe the method is the same.  I define a zero crossing in pnoise and look at the noise there.  From there, I calculate the phase noise from the output frequency, the slew rate at the zero crossing, and the zero-crossing noise.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Re: Phase Noise Simulation of Frequency Multiplier Using Jitter/Timedomain Noise
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2014, 9:58am

Dave,

Interesting question, I have not thought about simulating noise of frequency multipliers.  I was hoping Ken would comment on this, and if the sampled noise approach would apply for multipliers as well as dividers.

Good luck,
Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.