The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 7:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passing CDF parameters in a text based testbench (Read 10937 times)
Amblik

UK
Passing CDF parameters in a text based testbench
Dec 12th, 2013, 11:26am

Hi Folks, first post though i've been lurking this site for ages.

I'm starting to get to grips with verilog-ams test benches (purely text)

I was wondering how to go about passing parameter right through from ADE (Cadence) to model?

If i used a schematic testbench i can simply set variables for the CDF values in the form when i "Q" on the DUT.

How do i get the ADE to recognise parameters in a text based test bench?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Passing CDF parameters in a text based testbench
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2013, 10:07am

Amblik,
Did you look at the V-AMS netlist of a schematic using such parameters?
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Amblik

UK
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2013, 10:58am

I didn't even think of that!

I see my variables appearing in the netlist as such:
Code:
module cds_globals;
// Design Variables
  dynamicparam real variable1 = 100m;
  dynamicparam real variable2 = 200m;
endmodule

So am i correct in assuming that if i instantiate a module such as that above in my top level (text based) testbench, i'll be able to see my variables in ADE?

Thanks B O E.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2013, 8:21am

Amblik,
the cds_globals cell is (for schematic-on-top) created by ADE (from the design parameters you have listed there) and automatically included in the netlist.
Actually, I have not yet done V-AMS-on-top with ADE: so far, we have always used a script/make flow for text-on-top, writing our own code for cds_globals. Thus, I cannot give you a definite answer how to do this...
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2013, 10:56am

If you create a module with parameters (using the Verilog-AMS parameter statement), then when Virtuoso parses that module, it will create CDF parameters from these Verilog-AMS parameters. Consequently, when you instantiate the block, you will see those parameters on the create instance or edit properties form.

If you use global (design) variables, these will get netlisted as parameters in the cds_globals module and then are referenced using an out-of-module reference.

So it's pretty straightforward, really... (unless I've misunderstood what you're asking).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Amblik

UK
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2014, 8:07am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Dec 27th, 2013, 10:56am:
If you create a module with parameters (using the Verilog-AMS parameter statement), then when Virtuoso parses that module, it will create CDF parameters from these Verilog-AMS parameters. Consequently, when you instantiate the block, you will see those parameters on the create instance or edit properties form.

If you use global (design) variables, these will get netlisted as parameters in the cds_globals module and then are referenced using an out-of-module reference.

So it's pretty straightforward, really... (unless I've misunderstood what you're asking).

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew, thanks very much for your reply. Apologies for the long delay, i thought i would get an email notification when this thread was replied to.

I'm actually still having this problem. I understand that if my module has parameters, i can change those parameters in the create instance/edit properties forms. Then if i set those parameters to variables i can copy variables from cell view into my ADE.

However, if i'm not mistaken, this is if i have a schematic flow where i can see the module instantiated and consequently click on it to edit the properties. I don't have any schematics in my flow and it is purely text. As such, when i instantiate my modules in the test bench, how do i pass variables from the ADE to the testbench/module/DUT?

Thanks and regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2014, 11:39am

Design Variables in ADE end up in the cds_globals module, and hence can be referred to using an Out-Of-Module-Reference.

For example:

Code:
vsource #(.type("pulse"), .val0(0), .val1(2.5),
    .period(1/cds_globals.fREF), .delay(0), .rise(100p), .fall(100p),
    .width((0.5/cds_globals.fREF)-100p), .fundname("nameREF")) V6 (
    CLK_REF, cds_globals.\gnd! ); 

In this case, I had an ADE variable called fREF - and you can see that I'm passing it to an instance of vsource (in this case that's a built-in primitive, but it could equally well be an instance of a VerilogAMS module).

So you'd just need to use similar coding in your textual representation of the design. For example, here's what I get in the auto-generated cds_globals module in my case:

Code:
module cds_globals;

// Global Signals
   wire \VDD! ;
   wire \VSS! ;
   electrical \gnd! ;
   ground \gnd! ;

// Design Variables
   dynamicparam real fREF = 25M;
   dynamicparam real anotherVar = 2.5;

endmodule 

Two variables, fREF and anotherVar.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Amblik

UK
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2014, 11:47am

This is great! So simple! Thanks very much. That's solved a lot of problems for me. I hadn't even thought of referring to cds_globals as a module.

Thanks again!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.