The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS PSTB for SC simulation (Read 5928 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

PSS PSTB for SC simulation
Nov 27th, 2013, 6:25pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to check the loop gain of my unity-gain SC amplifier. Just like in continuous time circuits, I figured I should not break the loop. So I tried PSS + PSTB. However, the loop gain I get is garbage (less than 0 dB). So my first question is:

Is it correct to use PSS + PSTB to measure loop gain, and if so, how do I setup PSS and PSTB properly?

So instead, I added a 1 V AC source in series with the loop, and checked the gain around the loop. This time my loop gain was 13 dB.  The actual gain of the op-amp is around 23 dB, so I know this number is wrong too. It occurred to me that the reason is that my input source is being modulated by the switching action of the circuit, and so it may not be correct to look at the 0th sideband at the output. I guess the 1st sideband is more correct, but it will be attenuated by a sinc function. Does that sound correct? However, I guess there is something fundamentally wrong in the way I am simulating this circuit. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

thanks,
Aaron

For the PSS + PAC method, I added an ideal S/H as per the sc-filters.pdf document on this website. The loop gain looks more correct now...still wondering about the pstb analysis. BTW, I believe the PSS + PAC method is not the right way to accurately determine the loop gain as I am only injecting a voltage. Any thoughts on this are also welcome.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2013, 11:48pm by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: PSS PSTB for SC simulation
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2013, 2:31am

As you correctly noted, pstb analysis examines sideband 0, so it can only be used if you have an unmodulated signal somewhere in the loop (like for example in switched-mode power supplies).

For your pac analysis, I suggest you use sampled pac, so you don't need the additional ideal S/H.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2013, 4:33am

Hi Frank,

thanks for the reply. I guess Sampled PAC is a different analysis? I will try it tomorrow.

I think I get your point about PSTB. So in this case, I need to use PAC in order to check my loop gain/phase to check stability. In that case, is there an accurate way to measure loop gain/phase? The method I'm using is to embed an AC voltage source in series in the loop and check the gain across the voltage source terminals. However, this doesn't seem to be too accurate at higher frequencies (there are some discontinuities in my response).

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2013, 5:08am

Sampled pac is one of the "Specialized Analyses" in the pac setup form.

I suggest that you simulate voltage loop gain, which seems to be what you are doing already. This is a good approximation for the loop gain if the conditions given in http://www.omicron-lab.com/fileadmin/assets/customer_examples/Bode_Info_LoopGain... are satisfied.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.