The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LRM on using probes on correlated noise (Read 1843 times)
Balaji Raman

LRM on using probes on correlated noise
Sep 18th, 2013, 3:27am

Dear all,

Kindly answer the following query explained using an artificial Verilog A example.

Is it allowed to use a current or voltage probe in the RHS of a contribution statement, where the RHS is an expression containing an output of a noise function.

That is, consider n to be the output of a noise function. Next to the noise function statement, assume we have a contribution statement , which is generating a voltage or a current noise source using the variable n. Now, my question is if  n can be multiplied by another current or voltage probe. Below are the statements pertaining to this scenario.

n = white_noise(pwr);
V(a,b) <+ V(e,f) * n;
V(c,d) <+ I(p)*n;

Thanks for your attention,
Balaji.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: LRM on using probes on correlated noise
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2013, 8:19am

Some simulators/compilers are picky about what they allow you to do with white_noise: some don't even allow n = white_noise(pwr) -- or at least, they didn't some time ago when I last checked.

Some of them that do allow n = white_noise(pwr) convert this to
 I(internal_noise_node) <+ V(internal_noise_node) + white_noise(pwr);
 n = V(internal_noise_node);

in which case, it would be just fine to write
 V(a,b) <+ V(e,f) * n;
 V(c,d) <+ I(p)*n;

I don't think the LRM prohibits your expressions.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.