The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Understanding resistor usage (Read 4361 times)
GregS

Understanding resistor usage
Sep 10th, 2013, 12:21pm

Friends,

I'm new to Verilog-A/Verilog-AMS, and I've run into something that I can quite explain.  I've tried to setup a resistive load on an electrical input to my model, and I get an error from the simulator when I use one coding style over another.  The message looks like this:

FATAL: The following branches form a loop of rigid branches (shorts) when added to the circuit

I thought this code was equivalent, but obviously it's not, or I have an error somewhere else.

Coding example #1:
Define a resistor model like this:

module res (PLUS, MINUS );

inout PLUS, MINUS;
electrical PLUS, MINUS;
parameter real r=1 exclude 0;

analog
 begin
   I(PLUS,MINUS) <+ V(PLUS,MINUS)/r;
 end
endmodule

Instantiate this reistor model in another model like this:

module blah (VDDIO, VSS);
inout VDDIO;
inout VSS;
electrical VDDIO;
electrical VSS;
real Ivddio;
res #(.r(10k)) load7 (.PLUS(VDDIO), .MINUS(VSS));

analog
 begin
    Ivddio = I(VDDIO,VSS); <--This creates an error during simulation
 end
endmodule

Coding example #2:
module blah (VDDIO, VSS);
inout VDDIO;
inout VSS;
electrical VDDIO;
electrical VSS;
real Ivddio;

analog
 begin
    I(VDDIO,VSS) <+ V(VDDIO,VSS)/10k;
    Ivddio = I(VDDIO,VSS);
 end
endmodule

In the 2nd example, I'm not instantiating the resistor, I'm simply encoding the resistive load into the voltage to current relationship, and 2nd example operates like I expect, no errors and I can monitor my current through the resistive load in simulation  In the first example, if I code the line to monitor the current, the FATAL error occurs.  Any ideas why this is treated differently?  I must be missing something basic.

Thanks for your help.....

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: Understanding resistor usage
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2013, 4:32am

GregS,

The error shows you have shorted two (ideal) voltage sources (the other is probably in the testbench).
Because there is no branch between the nodes in ex. 1, the simulator has to add a source to measure the current (NB: an ideal amp meter is a short).
In ex. 1, you should measure the current through a port or from blah.VDDIO to blah.res.PLUS.

- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.