The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:35pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Start-up circuits (Read 454 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Start-up circuits
Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2013, 10:29pm

If you put up the schematic maybe we could offer suggestions - hard to help otherwise.

View Profile   IP Logged
Alberto

Analog Circuit
Designer

Mexico
Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2013, 2:23pm

RobG wrote on Oct 17th, 2013, 10:29pm:
If you put up the schematic maybe we could offer suggestions - hard to help otherwise.

Hi RobG thanks for the suggestion, the schematic is the next picture

Alberto J. Gutiérrez
View Profile Alberto aljegu   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2013, 9:40pm

I haven't seen that one before and it isn't immediately obvious that R1 won't keep it from starting up reliably unless you force the operating point quite a ways from the 0 state. Basically you have to get the diodes turned on so that the delta-Vbe is greater than the I*R1 drop or the circuit won't wind up....  The problem is that the R2s steal all the current from the diodes.

You might be able to make it work with a nodeset for the PMOS gates = 0V. It might also work if you inject a small current into node "A" to make sure it isn't in the 0 state and increase Av from 1e3 to 1e5. But I think you'll need to figure out a startup circuit before you'll be able to simulate -- assuming one exists.

View Profile   IP Logged
Alberto

Analog Circuit
Designer

Mexico
Reply #18 - Oct 20th, 2013, 2:46am

RobG wrote on Oct 19th, 2013, 9:40pm:
I haven't seen that one before and it isn't immediately obvious that R1 won't keep it from starting up reliably unless you force the operating point quite a ways from the 0 state. Basically you have to get the diodes turned on so that the delta-Vbe is greater than the I*R1 drop or the circuit won't wind up....  The problem is that the R2s steal all the current from the diodes.

You might be able to make it work with a nodeset for the PMOS gates = 0V. It might also work if you inject a small current into node "A" to make sure it isn't in the 0 state and increase Av from 1e3 to 1e5. But I think you'll need to figure out a startup circuit before you'll be able to simulate -- assuming one exists.

Thanks RobG i will test that solution, the BG reference exists, in a master thesis. I will be working in this issue and I will comment the results.

Alberto J. Gutiérrez
Alberto

Analog Circuit
Designer

Mexico
Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2013, 3:36am

RobG wrote on Oct 19th, 2013, 9:40pm:

Hi RobG you were right the nodes to apply node set are: node A and the gate of the PMOS. That's all, That band gap circuit does not have the problem of the "I" drop in the parallel resistors of the diodes because they are big, more or less 1MOhm each.

Thank so much for your help. I'm attaching the result.

STR_UP_OK.png

Alberto J. Gutiérrez
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2013, 7:32am

Glad I could help.

Is that circuit published?

View Profile   IP Logged
Alberto

Analog Circuit
Designer

Mexico
Reply #21 - Oct 21st, 2013, 8:55am

RobG wrote on Oct 21st, 2013, 7:32am:
Glad I could help.

Is that circuit published?

Yes It is, It was published by Gupta student of Phillip Allen

Alberto J. Gutiérrez
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2013, 9:29am

I couldn't find it. Do you have the year and publication?

I assume the resistor divider + diode circuit is a Thevenin equivalent of a Vbe/2 diode with a series R of R2/2.

View Profile   IP Logged
Alberto

Analog Circuit
Designer

Mexico
Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2013, 9:51am

RobG wrote on Oct 21st, 2013, 9:29am:
I couldn't find it. Do you have the year and publication?

I assume the resistor divider + diode circuit is a Thevenin equivalent of a Vbe/2 diode with a series R of R2/2.

I will send you and email please check it

Alberto J. Gutiérrez
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.