The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quality management in IC design (Read 5261 times)
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
quality management in IC design
Feb 16th, 2012, 5:32am

Hi folks,
As stated in the subject line, I'm  interested in particularly the "quality tools & methods" applied in IC design rather than those followed by foundries for manufacturing.

Any experience anyone with six sigma/lean/ kaizen or whatever in the context of daily IC design process - please care to share or point to resources?

Thanks,
topquark

View Profile   IP Logged
philcorb

Re: quality management in IC design
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2012, 1:28am

Hi,

This is something that interests me too.  Looking at lean or scrum methods, they are highly focused on software development, in my opinion.  It seems that IC design cycles are somewhat longer, with individual designs taking numbers of weeks.  The problem is how to take these ideas from agile methods and apply them to a different scenario, that of circuit design.  

The other area, is how much is known about a project before it starts.  The agile methods seem to focus highly on changing specification as the project progresses.  I think this approach is less well suited to IC design, as blocks tend to be more interconnected.  Deciding to change a transmitter, for example, requires changing many circuits which all interact with one another.  In other words, change costs more in IC design than in software.

I would be interested to hear about other people's experiences with this.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: quality management in IC design
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2012, 5:28am

Hi,

This is interesting. What is your criteria of quality management in IC design? Does it mean deliver to the market in tiime? Design a chip without functional error? Or produce ICs with 99.7% yield?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.