The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 11:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is "FM jitter" mode in PNOISE for? (SpectreRF) (Read 7071 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

What is "FM jitter" mode in PNOISE for? (SpectreRF)
Jul 06th, 2011, 11:20pm

After viewing a lot of posts, I feel it is necessary to open a specific post to discuss why Cadence put this mode in the tool.

I noticed a few things:

1. FM jitter mode doesn't require setting the strobe time or threshold. Which indicates that it is time averaged noise. So is source mode and modulated mode.

2. I tried with a simple VCO and found that FM jitter mode gives identical result as source mode. The only difference is that in FM jitter mode the result is DSB format.

3. This mode is accessible only in oscillator mode.

4. Based on one of Ken's papers, FM jitter is more to modeling the jitter accumulating behavior. This seems to indicate that we should always use FM jitter mode for oscillators. However, I also found that PM jitter will give the identical result (if we convert Jee back to phase noise) without losing the accuracy (assuming no AM noise appearing).

5. It is stated that FM jitter mode is based on modulated mode. But I'm not sure and have no idea how it works.

6. This appears to me that FM jitter mode is almost a repeat of source mode. I need to further confirm that the phase noise result in FM jitter mode is real phase noise (PM) or just the sum of total noise (AM + PM).

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: What is "FM jitter" mode in PNOISE for? (SpectreRF)
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2011, 12:39am

When you look at the netlist for FM jitter analysis, you will see two pnoise analyses, the second one with negative frequencies, noisetype=correlations and cycles=[0 -2]. This is the same setup as for modulated pnoise. A possible answer to your question is http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1158924743/3#3.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2011, 10:10am

Thanks for pointing to that post.

It looks like that FM jitter is the same as modulated mode. It just present the result in a different way.

Cadence really should write a document "Noise Type De-mystified".

Thank you Frank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2011, 1:51am

neoflash wrote on Jul 7th, 2011, 10:10am:
Cadence really should write a document "Noise Type De-mystified".

Why don't you contact Cadence support and ask for it?

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2011, 9:56am

Frank, Do you think they have it?

I tried a couple of times to get more understanding on this. But it turns out to be much more effective to just go here.

Mentor's ELDORF goes a more straight-forward way. They naturally split AM/FM noise  in their result .sstnoise. However, EldoRF has terrible convergence performance on those highly non-linear circuits. It also has no strobed analysis yet. (Maybe I'm a bit out-of-date on this point.)

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2011, 3:16pm

neoflash wrote on Jul 8th, 2011, 9:56am:
Frank, Do you think they have it?

No, I don't think so. But maybe someone should tell them that there is a need for it.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.