The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XA gives inaccurate currents! (Read 6981 times)
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
XA gives inaccurate currents!
Apr 20th, 2011, 2:11am

Hi folks,
HAve any of you experienced this?
XA (sim level 4 or even 6- SPICE-like) gives highly inaccurate current measurements in simulations.
Ok, to be specific I'm simulating a Charge Pump which is a switching cap circuit. While level 4 gives reasonably fast and correct voltage waves (<5% error) to ensure functionality, current measures have let me down  >:(

Does anyone know why this is the case and any work arounds?
I'm trusting hspice or Spectre current measures at the moment which take a long time to run.
Synopsys have no documentation regarding this beahviour.

Appreciate your views.
Cheers,
Topquark

View Profile   IP Logged
John O Donovan

San Jose, CA
Re: XA gives inaccurate currents!
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2011, 9:28am

Hi,

Someone else may answer the XA question, but if you have access to Spectre already and it is a recent version (7.2 or 10.1) then have you tried using the +aps option to enable APS.

Regards,
 John

View Profile   IP Logged
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
Re: XA gives inaccurate currents!
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2011, 2:49am

Sorry, guys.
it was more of a rant than a genuine issue  :P

I confirmed the current values with both APS and XA - they were quite high due to some circuit issue, not simulator!
Now, I've fixed it but a word of caution when using XA - always use level 4 or above to get trustworthy current numbers!

Cheers,
topquark

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.