The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:53pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
switch noise when it is switched off (Read 16270 times)
lunren
Community Member

Asia
switch noise when it is switched off
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:41pm

Hi All,

I think when a switch is off, it does not generate thermal noise, right?

However, in my simulation, I found that when a switch is off, its thermal noise still dominates the overall noise performance of my circuit. If a switch which is off should not generate noise, how can I get correct noise results? I am thinking to replace the switch with equivalent parasitic cap (like junction cap). In this way, it seems the results are normal, other wise, the noise is like 50mV!!! Shocked

Any idea about this are welcome.

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: switch noise when it is switched off
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:50pm

Is the switch use to control the band of a VCO? If so you might want to look at the Oscillator Puzzle on the Theory page.

-Ken

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2010, 10:27am by Ken Kundert »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2010, 8:41am

Just a thought. What does OFF mean for your switch? How much leakage do you have and what frequency range are you interested in? If for instance, you are working in the lower frequency range (< 1 kHz), then you might be seeing this.

Of course, there might be other reasons why you are seeing this large noise contribution. Perhaps a bit more information might help.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2010, 10:25am

Ken Kundert wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:50pm:
Is the switched use to control the band of a VCO? If so you might want to look at the Oscillator Puzzle on the Theory page.

-Ken

It is not a VCO, it is a swiched capacitor gain amplifier.

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2010, 11:24am

vivkr wrote on Mar 24th, 2010, 8:41am:
Just a thought. What does OFF mean for your switch? How much leakage do you have and what frequency range are you interested in? If for instance, you are working in the lower frequency range (< 1 kHz), then you might be seeing this.

Of course, there might be other reasons why you are seeing this large noise contribution. Perhaps a bit more information might help.

Vivek

My circuit is a switched capacitor gain amplifier. There are many switches connected to the input of the amplifier, only one of the switches are turned on, others are turned off. Attached please find the schematic and the integrated noise results. With the turned off switches connected to the nodes inp/inn, the results is like 268mV and the noise summary reported that the two turned off switches contribute 97% noise. While with 500fF cap to replace the switches, the noise become 500uV.

I have also tried to sim the AC noise of a simple NMOS connected to a cap (the other side connected to a fix bias voltage). It turns out that even the NMOS is turned off, it still generate a lot noise and the noise depends heavily on the bias level at the other side of the NMOS.

The last picture shows one output noise of another circuit. It seems that there is a step around 10MHz (discontinuity) and I saw this behavior with several foundry's model. I am wondering if it is because of the noise equation discontinuity in the model? How do you deal with this?

Thanks,

Lunren

noise_sch.JPG

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2010, 11:27am

With switches connected (sorry I don't know how to attach several pictures at a time)

with_switches.JPG

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2010, 11:28am

With equivalent caps connected!

with_switches_equivalent.JPG

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2010, 11:29am

Noise curve with discontinuity!

noise_discon.JPG

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2010, 12:37pm

a little detail - a resistance in series with a capacitance can still AC couple noise

Think about that with respect to an opens MOS switch, and its parasitics.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2010, 1:10pm

loose-electron wrote on Mar 24th, 2010, 12:37pm:
a little detail - a resistance in series with a capacitance can still AC couple noise

Think about that with respect to an opens MOS switch, and its parasitics.

Hi Jerry, what do you mean by "AC couple noise"? Can you explain more about your idea?

Even though there is some similarity. The open switches should not increase the noise from 500uV to 268mV. In another simulations, the noise is still dominated by one open switch, the OTA itself just generates less noise compared to the open switch (only one).

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2010, 3:17am

Ken Kundert wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:50pm:
Is the switch use to control the band of a VCO? If so you might want to look at the Oscillator Puzzle on the Theory page.

-Ken

Regarding the circuit presented in http://www.designers-guide.org/Theory/puzzle.pdf : We recently had a presentation from Berkeley Design Automation (http://berkeley-da.com/). They have examined this circuit both with their AFS simulator and with another RF simulator (guess which one...). Their AFS simulator did not show any noise contribution from the switched-off transistors. With loosened tolerance settings for reltol and vntol, the other RF simulator also gave results that were quite similar to those from AFS and did not show the additional noise anymore. In contrast, the AFS results did not change when the accuracy settings were tightened. Their customer considered AFS to have the correct results.

vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2010, 3:34am

lunren wrote on Mar 24th, 2010, 11:24am:
While with 500fF cap to replace the switches, the noise become 500uV.

You seem to have very large switches if the equivalent load is 500 fF!

Quote:
I have also tried to sim the AC noise of a simple NMOS connected to a cap (the other side connected to a fix bias voltage). It turns out that even the NMOS is turned off, it still generate a lot noise and the noise depends heavily on the bias level at the other side of the NMOS.

If simulating just a simple switch + cap combination with standard noise analysis gives you a lot of noise, then it is an indication that your switches are not sufficiently OFF in the OFF state. So although the off-resistance of the switches is high, it is not high enough to prevent the noise from entering the frequency range of interest. Incidentally, if you consider a large enough frequency range (from low-f to high-f), then you should see a fixed amount of total integrated noise in this simple setup, which should only depend on the cap and not on the switch anymore.

Look at the noise plot in this simple case across frequency.

You may also want to see how to get the switches to really turn OFF, maybe using other transistors which leak less, or considering pumping the gate to a more negative voltage to turn your switches OFF. Try a simple experiment, where you sweep the gate voltage negative and check the point at which the noise spectrum of the switch disappears from the frequency range you are interested in.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2010, 9:35am

of course it is a must to check if the off resistance is high enough.

but i wonder if it is really a design issue or simulation issue. what if you tighten the gmin setting?

View Profile   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2010, 5:37pm

vivkr wrote on Mar 25th, 2010, 3:34am:
lunren wrote on Mar 24th, 2010, 11:24am:
While with 500fF cap to replace the switches, the noise become 500uV.

You seem to have very large switches if the equivalent load is 500 fF!
Yes, it is a group of switches, but it should not generate that much high noise.

Quote:

If simulating just a simple switch + cap combination with standard noise analysis gives you a lot of noise, then it is an indication that your switches are not sufficiently OFF in the OFF state. So although the off-resistance of the switches is high, it is not high enough to prevent the noise from entering the frequency range of interest. Incidentally, if you consider a large enough frequency range (from low-f to high-f), then you should see a fixed amount of total integrated noise in this simple setup, which should only depend on the cap and not on the switch anymore.

Look at the noise plot in this simple case across frequency.

You may also want to see how to get the switches to really turn OFF, maybe using other transistors which leak less, or considering pumping the gate to a more negative voltage to turn your switches OFF. Try a simple experiment, where you sweep the gate voltage negative and check the point at which the noise spectrum of the switch disappears from the frequency range you are interested in.

Vivek

Actually if the gate was connected to much negative voltage, the integrated noise is only 7.8uV (much less than sqrt(KT/C)=20uV) in the simple experiment setup. If you replace the NMOS with ideal resistor from analogLib, you will find that if you set the resistance very high like 10G (the other side just connect to ideal voltage source, which means there is no other noise source except the resistor), the integrated noise is only 0.7uV (where C=10pF). If the resistor is 1M, we could get 21uV which matches KT/C. Any one who can give this some comment?

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2010, 2:03am

Frank,
    Concerning your comment on the Oscillator Puzzle and BDA. It seems like you are saying that they are suggesting that effect documented in the oscillator puzzle is an error and that their simulator is not subject to this error. Both claims are dubious. They do not have the circuit I simulated, and just because the circuit they did simulate might have been similar in structure to the one I described, it is not the same circuit. As I pointed out in the paper, the effect is strongly dependent on seemingly insignificant circuit parameters.

I am not saying that the parametric amplification effect I describe could not be an artifact of the simulator. That is always a possibility. But I am not a naive  simulator user, and that was the first thing I considered. I ruled it out as an explanation after a lot of digging.

-Ken

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.