The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage Reference Circuit  vs. Voltage Regulator (Read 2264 times)
chickenvlsi1

Voltage Reference Circuit  vs. Voltage Regulator
Jun 04th, 2009, 3:42am

Hi All,
Could you pleas let me know the difference between voltage regulator and voltage reference circuits?
As I understand, reference voltage circuit aims to provide a voltage which is not dependent on PVT variations. And the purpose of voltage regulator is to provide a voltage which is constant regardless of power supply variation. Thus, it seems to me that voltage regulator is just kind a subset of voltage reference circuit. Is that right ?
Why does we need a voltage regulator while we can have fixed voltage with reference circuit?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Voltage Reference Circuit  vs. Voltage Regulator
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2009, 4:10am

Hi,

from my understanding, a voltage regulator is used for supply regulation whereby the supply voltage is independent of the current drawn by the load (i.e. the supply voltage should be the same whether the system draws 1mA or 100 mA). At the same time, a voltage regulator should operate with high efficiency. i.e. the power dissipated by the regulator should be much less than the load.

As for a voltage bias such as a bandgap reference, current is not drawn from the reference itself, and the load is for the most part unimportant.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2009, 4:32am

hi,
  i think voltage reference is the one which gives constant voltage independent of PVT, but it wont drive any load (like band gap, zenar diode). Where as voltage regulator is ckt which is mainly to supply as much as possible load current by using some voltage reference.

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:09am

My contribution to this thread:

A voltage regulator (LDO or DcDc-Converter) provides voltage conversion, while a voltage reference provides a reference voltage (as the name suggests Wink.

A voltage reference is typically used for a voltage regulator to regulate the output voltage. However, as Aaron and Rajasekhar wrote, the requirements and application of a voltage regulator (to provide a supply voltage with good regulation, efficiency etc.) and a voltage reference (e.g. bandgap providing an accurate voltage) are completely different.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
chickenvlsi1

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:15am

raja.cedt wrote on Jun 4th, 2009, 4:32am:
hi,
  i think voltage reference is the one which gives constant voltage independent of PVT, but it wont drive any load (like band gap, zenar diode). Where as voltage regulator is ckt which is mainly to supply as much as possible load current by using some voltage reference.

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Hi Rajasekhar,
Thank you so much for your reply.
From your answer, I can conclude following points. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My points are as follows:
1. If I have a resistive ladder ( in DAC for instance) and this ladder is connected to a Vref voltage. Because the ladder itself consumes a large curent, Vref should be connected the output of  a regulator (rather than the output of a reference circuit) so that Vref is not varied with the current variations in that resistive ladder. Am I right ?
2. If I need to bias a transistor MOSFET by  a  Vbias voltage which is connected to MOSFET gate terminal, then Vbias should come from the output of a reference circuit rather than a regulator. That's because there's almost zero current flowing into the gate of transistor. I am right ?
Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
chickenvlsi1

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:18am

Berti wrote on Jun 4th, 2009, 8:09am:
My contribution to this thread:

A voltage regulator (LDO or DcDc-Converter) provides voltage conversion, while a voltage reference provides a reference voltage (as the name suggests Wink.

A voltage reference is typically used for a voltage regulator to regulate the output voltage. However, as Aaron and Rajasekhar wrote, the requirements and application of a voltage regulator (to provide a supply voltage with good regulation, efficiency etc.) and a voltage reference (e.g. bandgap providing an accurate voltage) are completely different.

Regards

Thank you very much for you reply,
Is the output voltage of  a typical regulator independent of process and temperature variations like references?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:44am

hi chickenvlsi1,
                     i think you got correctly about those. But in the second point even though it is correct conceptually there your bias should vary with process, so no  one use voltage reference rather people relay on replica.
                     For any voltage regulator i think output impedance is depends on PVT because normally it like 1/gm and if you want you can think about how to make gm constant (but i don't have complete knowledge on that )

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:57am

Hi,

Quote:
If I have a resistive ladder ( in DAC for instance) and this ladder is connected to a Vref voltage. Because the ladder itself consumes a large curent, Vref should be connected the output of  a regulator (rather than the output of a reference circuit) so that Vref is not varied with the current variations in that resistive ladder. Am I right ?

I don't think this is correct. A resistive ladder is a more or less constant load. You don't need a voltage regulator here. You need a voltage reference with maybe a unity gain buffer. BTW a voltage regulator usually has an extremely large off-chip inductor while a bandgap can be implemented entirely on-chip.

I believe you would need voltage regulators to separate power domains. For example, although a system may have only 1 power supply such as a battery, it may include several chips operating at different voltage levels. Furthermore, their power consumptions may vary in time depending on the functions they are performing. Voltage regulators are required to ensure that the power domains don't interact with each other, and the supply voltages are stable despite changes in loading conditions.

Quote:
Is the output voltage of  a typical regulator independent of process and temperature variations like references?

It is not as stable as a voltage reference (due to the changing loading conditions), and doesn't need to be as precise either. A voltage reference should be very precise.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2009, 9:56am

hi Aaron,
            ya what your is telling is same but what i feel is voltage regulator and op amp buffer or same , there is no much difference.

Thanks,
rajasekhar

chickenvlsi1

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2009, 7:42pm

aaron_do wrote on Jun 4th, 2009, 8:57am:
Hi,

Quote:
If I have a resistive ladder ( in DAC for instance) and this ladder is connected to a Vref voltage. Because the ladder itself consumes a large curent, Vref should be connected the output of  a regulator (rather than the output of a reference circuit) so that Vref is not varied with the current variations in that resistive ladder. Am I right ?

I don't think this is correct. A resistive ladder is a more or less constant load. You don't need a voltage regulator here. You need a voltage reference with maybe a unity gain buffer. BTW a voltage regulator usually has an extremely large off-chip inductor while a bandgap can be implemented entirely on-chip.

cheers,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,
1. You suggest using a unity-gain buffer to isolate Vref from load current. However, in that case, is the output of unity-gain buffer independent of PVT, especially temperature?

2. In the case output of unity-gain buffer does not exhibit PVT independence, I think a reference, which is independent on not only PVT but also its load current, need to be designed.
However,I haven't seen any Bandgap reference which is independent on both PVT and load current yet.  Could you please recommend a reference which is both PVT and load current independent?
Thank you very much.

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2009, 10:55pm by chickenvlsi1 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2009, 11:19pm

Hi,

Quote:
ya what your is telling is same but what i feel is voltage regulator and op amp buffer or same , there is no much difference.

conceptually they have similarities, but their designs (and design requirements) are very different.

Quote:
However, in that case, is the output of unity-gain buffer independent of PVT, especially temperature?

Yes. The output would follow the bandgap voltage itself, although I guess there would be some error due to the finite DC gain, and also the offset voltage of the opamp.

This is not really my area of expertise (if I have one), so I recommend you read up on voltage regulators and bandgap references to get a better idea of the differences.

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2009, 12:18am

Hi Chickenvlsi1 (funny user name  :)

I recommend you the read a few textbooks because I think that this discussion gets confusing.

A buffer and a voltage regulator are for sure not the same!!!! They use completely different principles and have different characteristics, beside a voltage regulator has typically a low bandwidth while a buffer is often designed having a high bandwidth.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
chickenvlsi1

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2009, 1:07am

Berti wrote on Jun 5th, 2009, 12:18am:
Hi Chickenvlsi1 (funny user name  :)

I recommend you the read a few textbooks because I think that this discussion gets confusing.

A buffer and a voltage regulator are for sure not the same!!!! They use completely different principles and have different characteristics, beside a voltage regulator has typically a low bandwidth while a buffer is often designed having a high bandwidth.

Cheers

Thank  Berti,
I really appreciate your help.
Have a nice weekend.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.