The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to verify Stability of Total Circuits ? (Read 15369 times)
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
How to verify Stability of Total Circuits ?
May 23rd, 2009, 4:41am

We use loop gain evaluation method for stability analysis of amplifier having clear feedback.

However what method do you use for verify stability of fairly large system circuits like MIMO(Multiple Inputs and Multiple Outputs).
There are many feedback loops. And we can't find out all possible feedback paths.

Agilent GoldenGate provides following two methods to perform Stability Analysis for judging whether the circuit is potentially stable or unstable.

Nyquist Diagram : With this method, the circuit equation is solved at each point of a frequency sweep that goes from DC to a very high value.
A Nyquist diagram is then created from this sweep and its analysis gives the value of the stability flag.
The list of frequencies is also derived from the diagram.

Eigenvalue Computation : With this method, the eigenvalues of a matrix that represents the circuit are computed.
The stability flag and the list of frequencies are computed by the analysis of those values.

So I tried this stability analysis of "Eigenvalue Computation" for post layout simulation using "extracted view".
However this analysis results didn't report any unstable mode while actual chip shows remarkable parasitic oscillation especially for bias circuits.

Transient Analysis(both traponly and gear2only) of Cadence Spectre don't show any remarkable oscillation.

Envelope Transient Analysis of Agilent GoldenGate also don't show any remarkable oscillation, here waveforms of this result are completely same as results of Transient Analysis of Cadence Spectre.

On the other hand, Transient Analysis(gear2) of Agilent GoldenGate show remarkable oscillation which is relatively close to actual phenomena.

What method do you use to verify stability of fairly large system circuits ?

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009, 1:01pm by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: How to verify Stability of Total Circuits ?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2009, 5:26am

pancho_hideboo wrote on May 23rd, 2009, 4:41am:
However what method do you use for verify stability of fairly large system circuits like MIMO(Multiple Inputs and Multiple Outputs).
There are many feedback loops. And we can't find out all possible feedback paths.............
What method do you use for verify stability of fairly large system circuits ?

Indeed, you have mentioned a problem of principle nature.
Of course, one can simulate or measure if a system is BIBO-stable or not by inspecting the output for different input signals (step, sinus,....).
However, it is a problem to define something like a stability figure or a stability margin , because in this case you need an open loop function.
But, when we have n loops - which loop is selected to plot its gain ?
For my opinion, the classical stability criterion (Nyquist) cannot be applied in this case.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2009, 5:52am

buddypoor wrote on May 23rd, 2009, 5:26am:
For my opinion, the classical stability criterion (Nyquist) cannot be applied in this case.
We can apply Nyquist Criterion even for MIMO systems using "1+G(s)" type Nyquist Diagram,
because "1+G(s)" is identical to "Characteristic Polynomial" based on State Space Formulation.
Here "G(s)" means OLTF(Open Loop Transfer Function).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_space_representation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_stability_criterion

However I chose "Eigenvalue Computation" method not "Nyquist Diagram".

In "Eigenvalue Computation" method, roots of "Characteristic Polynomial" based on State Space Formulation are evaluated directly.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009, 2:40am by pancho_hideboo »  
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2009, 10:58am

Hi Pancho,

Despite the method you use for analyzing stability - I usually use Nyquist for most of feedback systems I deal with - if the transient simulation is not showing any clue of instability while actual silicon does, you should start thinking the modelling of your parasitics might not be good enough, since transient analysis should reflect the actual stability condition of the system....

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2009, 11:12am

HdrChopper wrote on May 23rd, 2009, 10:58am:
you should start thinking the modelling of your parasitics might not be good enough, since transient analysis should reflect the actual stability condition of the system....
I don't think so.

Results of Transient Analysis are very affected by initial conditions or startup conditions.
This is very true for weak parasitic oscillation.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1234428781/7#7

I used same initial conditions and startup pulse(voltage supply rampup) for Cadence Spectre and Agilent GoldenGate.

Transient Analysis(both traponly and gear2only) of Cadence Spectre don't show any remarkable oscillation.

Envelope Transient Analysis of Agilent GoldenGate also don't show any remarkable oscillation, here waveforms of this result are completely same as results of Transient Analysis of Cadence Spectre.

On the other hand, Transient Analysis(gear2) of Agilent GoldenGate show remarkable oscillation which is relatively close to actual phenomena.

I suspect that treatments during initial phase are different between Cadence Spectre and Agilent GoldenGate.
If circuits are in very critical "Conditionally Stable State" at DC operation points, behavior during initial phase is very important regarding whether circuits show oscillation or not.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1190272820

I can set very unstable conditions by decreasing decoupling capacitor value.
When I create very unstable conditions, both Cadence Spectre and Agilent GoldenGate give same oscillation waveforms.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009, 9:37pm by pancho_hideboo »  
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2009, 8:55pm

pancho_hideboo wrote on May 23rd, 2009, 11:12am:
Results of Transient Analysis are very affected by initial conditions or startup conditions.
This is very true for weak parasitic oscillation.

True. But this also might be the reason why when you run your stability analysis you did not see any aparent unstabilty...most probably actual initial conditions where not properly set as actual measurements are showing.
If your system stability is so highly dependent on the intial conditions
you should make sure the initial conditions at which you simulate your system are replicated in the actual circuit by same sort of start up circuit to guarantee stability...

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2009, 9:31pm

HdrChopper wrote on May 23rd, 2009, 8:55pm:
True. But this also might be the reason why when you run your stability analysis you did not see any aparent unstabilty...
most probably actual initial conditions where not properly set as actual measurements are showing.
If your system stability is so highly dependent on the intial conditions
you should make sure the initial conditions at which you simulate your system are replicated in the actual circuit by same sort of start up circuit to guarantee stability...

As conclusion, there is no general and almighty method for verification of stability of fairly large system circuits including parasitics.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #7 - May 24th, 2009, 1:31am

pancho_hideboo wrote on May 23rd, 2009, 5:52am:
We can apply Nyquist Criterion even for MIMO systems using "1+G(s)" type Nyquist Diagram,
because "1+G(s)" is identical to "Characteristics Polynomial" based on State Space Formulation.
Here "G(s)" means OLTF(Open Loop Transfer Function).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_stability_criterion

Hi, pancho_hideboo.
One question regarding your response:
What is the "open loop transfer function" in a multloop system ?
I suppose, in this case we have several "open loop transfer functions", donīt we ? And which one dominates ?
This is - as far as I know - still an open question not answered in books on control theory.
buddypoor

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2009, 1:40am

buddypoor wrote on May 24th, 2009, 1:31am:
One question regarding your response:
What is the "open loop transfer function" in a multloop system ?
We can't define OLTF for a multiloop system.

However we can evaluate "Characteristic Polynomial of Matrix A" like following.
ΦA(s)=det(s*I-A)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_space_representation

We can apply "1+G(s)" type Nyquist Diagram concept to this ΦA(s).
Here we look whether a locus encloses origin or not instead of -1+j0.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009, 3:54am by pancho_hideboo »  
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2009, 3:25am

Hi pancho-hideboo,

Yes, I agree with you. As described by you it is possible to check if the system is stable or not.
However, as indicated in my first reply (23rd of May) my doubts were and are related to the definition of a reasonable parameter which can be used as a stability margin resp. a degree of stability/instability.  Most probably I have not expressed myself clear enough, sorry for that.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #10 - May 24th, 2009, 3:48am

buddypoor wrote on May 24th, 2009, 3:25am:
However, as indicated in my first reply (23rd of May) my doubts were and are related to the definition of a reasonable parameter which can be used as a stability margin resp. a degree of stability/instability.
Even if we use "Eigenvalue Computation" method, we can estimate stability margin by real part value of eigen values.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #11 - May 24th, 2009, 6:41am

pancho_hideboo wrote on May 24th, 2009, 3:48am:
Even if we use "Eigenvalue Computation" method, we can estimate stability margin by real part value of eigen values.

Mmmmh - I am afraid the discussion becomes a bit philosophical now because:
For my understanding a phase margin derived from an open-loop analysis gives exactly the additional phase shift to be introduced into this loop in order to make the closed loop unstable. More than that, if the margin is - letīs say - only 30 deg,  I know I have to enhance the phase within this loop  by additional 30 deg in order to arrive at 60 deg. There is an additional point: Normally, one is in the position to estimate the probability if the margin will decrease to zero or not due to some uncertainties, tolerances or  temperature resp aging effects.

Now, what is the practical meaning of the margin derived by the method mentioned by you ? What can I do to improve the margin ?
Is it possible to estimate if it is sufficient or not ? Interesting Question for my opinion.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2009, 1:39am

buddypoor wrote on May 24th, 2009, 6:41am:
Now, what is the practical meaning of the margin derived by the method mentioned by you ?
What can I do to improve the margin ?
Is it possible to estimate if it is sufficient or not ?
I think all issues you point out are quite right.

"1+G(s)" type Nyquist Diagram for "Characteristic Polynomial of Matrix A", ΦA(s)=det(s*I-A) is no more than classic control theory.
However it is almost impossible to evaluate GM(Gain Margin) and PM(Phase Margin) properly.

Generally it is very difficult to grasp proper physical image and meaning in results of modern control theory compared to classic control theory.

To my regret, Agilent GoldenGate does not provide any information regarding "Controllability" and "Observabillity" of System under Analysis.
I requested enhancements for Agilent.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2009, 8:18am by pancho_hideboo »  
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2009, 3:12am

pancho_hideboo wrote on Jun 15th, 2009, 1:39am:
"1+G(s)" type Nyquist Diagram for "Characteristic Polynomial of Matrix A", ΦA(s)=det(s*I-A) is no more than classic control theory.
However it is almost impossible to evaluate GM(Gain Margin) and PM(Phase Margin) poroperly.
Generally it is very difficult to grasp proper physical image and meaning in results of modern control theory compared to classic control theory.

Thanks for your reply. I completelx agree.
Regards
LvW

PS:  I would very much appreciate a comment from your side regarding my two contributions  "opamp integrators" in the ANALOG FORUM dated June 11.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.