The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harmonic balance no guarantee for start-up? (Read 2069 times)
Visjnoe

Harmonic balance no guarantee for start-up?
Feb 12th, 2009, 12:53am

Dear all,

I had a discussion with someone who claimed that it is possible that an oscillator exhibits nice, steady-state oscillation as the outcome of an harmonic balance simulation, while in reality it might not start up. This would then, for example, be seen in a transient simulation.

The reasoning is that the gm required for startup is/can be bigger than the one required to sustain oscillation. I do however not see the physical mechanism behind this, since to my opinion, the losses in the circuit are the same (in startup versus steady-state).

Any comments welcome.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Harmonic balance no guarantee for start-up?
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2009, 4:07am

I can't understand your question correctly.

Visjnoe wrote on Feb 12th, 2009, 12:53am:
I do however not see the physical mechanism behind this, since to my opinion, the losses in the circuit are the same (in startup versus steady-state).
There could be two solutions as steady state solutions where "negative impedance"+"loss impedance"=0.
One is an oscillation, the other is non oscillation, that is, static state.

Autonomous HB analysis can find this steady state oscillation solution without any start up for oscillation.
For example, autonomous HB analysis can give oscillation solution for X'tal OSC having very High Q without any startup.
But it requires very accurate oscillation frequency as initial guess.

Old HB analysis which didn't have transient assisted ability required special oscillator probe for Autonomous HB analysis.
For example, Agilent MDS required this special oscillator probe.
Even in Agilent ADS, this special oscillator probe has remained as option.
But there are cases where it can't find oscillation solution for this pure frequency domain technique.

Current HB analyses have transient assisted ability to get good initial guess for oscillation, here start up for oscillation is used.
And it doesn't require special oscillator probe.

Again see the following to your previous post.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1216380172/7#7
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1216380172/13#13

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2009, 5:40am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2009, 5:41am

Just to make my question more clear: is it possible that harmonic balance shows an oscillator to be oscillating (steady-state), while in reality it can not start up?
By steady-state I mean really a sinusoidal behavior. I'm using a recent, commercial simulator (SpectreRF).

In other words: does harmonic balance give confidence that a oscillator will start up?

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2009, 5:56am

Do you understand HB Analysis ?

Visjnoe wrote on Feb 12th, 2009, 5:41am:
is it possible that harmonic balance shows an oscillator to be oscillating (steady-state), while in reality it can not start up?
If your circuit doesn't satisfy small signal oscillation condition, there is no oscillation solution in steady state.

By steady-state I mean really a sinusoidal behavior.
What do you mean ?

In other words: does harmonic balance give confidence that a oscillator will start up?
There is no "Start Up" concept in pure frequency domain Autonomous HB Analysis.

Again see the following to your previous post.
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1216380172/7#7
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1216380172/13#13

Visjnoe

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2009, 6:02am

I understand HB and also that there is no startup in harmonic balance.

The question is as follows: if you SIMULATE an oscillator using harmonic balance and all looks fine, is that a guarantee that in REALITY/MEASUREMENTS it will start up and oscillate (assuming no model errors or simulator errors)?
If not, why not?

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2009, 6:09am

Visjnoe wrote on Feb 12th, 2009, 6:02am:
The question is as follows: if you SIMULATE an oscillator using harmonic balance and all looks fine, is that a guarantee that in REALITY/MEASUREMENTS it will start up and oscillate (assuming no model errors or simulator errors)?
If not, why not?
You can't know oscillation margin by steady state analysis  even though there are no model errors or simulator errors.
You also have to invoke small signal analysis

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1233667204

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009, 5:43am by pancho_hideboo »  
Visjnoe

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009, 11:35am

I still haven't got a good answer to my original question.

I understand that HB does not show startup behavior (per definition) and also that you cannot deduce oscillation margin from it.

However, if you SOLELY run HB on a given oscillator, can you be sure he will startup and reach the steady-state condition (in reality)? If not, which possible mechanism would prohibit you from making such a deduction?

The way I see it, the steady-state oscillation verified with HB proves that the gm is enough to satisfy the Barkhausen criterion. Let's assume everything is also OK over corners etc. and you have effectively taken into account all losses.

For the oscillator not to startup in reality, would imply that somehow during the initial startup phase the 'losses' seen by the oscillator are bigger, requiring a bigger gm. I just cannot think of a mechanism which would result in bigger losses during startup (when the oscillator's amplitude is ramping up) versus steady-state.

If the losses do not vary over time, I would think that satisfying Barkhausen in steady-state is a sufficient condition to guarantee startup (without explicitly running a transient simulation to verify it).

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2009, 3:32am

Visjnoe wrote on Feb 16th, 2009, 11:35am:
I just cannot think of a mechanism which would result in bigger losses during startup(when the oscillator's amplitude is ramping up) versus steady-state.
Autonomous HB analysis is no more than numeric solution for homogeneous nonlinear equation.
Even though autonomous HB analysis can find out a solution of stable oscillation,
in transient behavior the circuit states could trace different paths and arrive at different terminal such as oscillation stop depending on starting method of oscillation, that is, initial conditions.
Losses during startup could be both bigger and smaller than steady state.
Also magnitude of negative impedance could be both smaller and bigger than steady state.

Visjnoe wrote on Feb 16th, 2009, 11:35am:
If the losses do not vary over time, I would think that satisfying Barkhausen in steady-state is a sufficient condition to guarantee startup.
You are misunderstanding.
Barkhausen is Necessary Condition for Oscillation not Sufficient Condition.
And Barkhausen are never conditions for duration of oscillation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkhausen_stability_criterion

If Barkhausen is Necessary Condition for Oscillation, a expression of "Barkhausen in steady-state" is meaningful.
But if it is Sufficient Condition, a expression of "Barkhausen in steady-state" is very strange.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009, 4:32am by pancho_hideboo »  
Visjnoe

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2009, 4:25am

Ok, I think we have convergence now.
Barkhausen is necessary but insufficient condition and the losses can vary over time.
This answers my quesions.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.