The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 9th, 2024, 1:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Injection lock VCO (Read 10957 times)
Mehran

Injection lock VCO
Dec 11th, 2008, 6:25pm

Hi all,
im new here, and almost new in IC design.
i am doing an Injection lock VCO. i am trying to do an experiment in cadence to find my lock range. basically i am using 2 ideal current source to inject a differential current in to a cross couple VCO. i am changing the frequency around the natural frequency of the tank and doing PSS to find the output spectrum.

1. i have seen the experiment results of prof Harjani in CICC, and here is the more complete one,

http://www.cmoset.com/uploads/7a.3.pdf
page 24

if you look at the results, there is a region which amplitude is almost constant, which we can find the lock range and the spur supression from the graph. but in my simulation, i am getting a curve like normal tank but with more supression than without cross couple mos, which i beleive its do to regenerative amplification.
i dont see that flat region in my simulation.
is there any special setup for simulating injection lock VCOs?

2. when i am running the transient simulation, for a free running VCO, if i look at the common source of cross couple pair, i can see the wave form with twice of frequency which is wellknown. but when i inject a signal, i see a wave form with 4 times of frequency.

how can i make sure that my VCO is getting lock to the injected signal and how i can find the lock range in simulation?

thanks in advance.
Mehran

View Profile mehranizad   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Injection lock VCO
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2008, 5:39am

Mehran wrote on Dec 11th, 2008, 6:25pm:
how can i make sure that my VCO is getting lock to the injected signal and how i can find the lock range in simulation?

Mehran wrote on Dec 18th, 2008, 11:51pm:
basically because it is a autononous/driven circuit, i can not run the PSS. so i am doing a transient and use DFT.
can u just give me some idea on how to go about measuring the lock range of my VCO.

If your ILO(Injection Lock Osc.) could be enough locked within your simulation accuracy setting, a driven PSS can be valid for ILO where driven signal is injection signal.
If your ILO could not be locked, PSS can't converge. But you can't distinguish whether it is ILO unlock or PSS convergence fail due to PSS ill-robustness.

Use driven envelope analysis and observe instantaneous frequency of Nth harmonics you desire.
And using chirp FM signal or conventional FM signal as injection signal, you can evaluate lock range. Here frequency change speed must be enough slow compared to settling time of ILO.

But I can never assure simulation performance of envelope analysis in Cadence Spectre.

I use envelope analysis of Agilent GoldenGate simulator for this purpose.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Mehran

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2008, 12:47am

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
i dont have access to Agilent. but can you tell me more about what you are telling by FM signal?
i do transient and then i am taking DFT? i can not get the correct spectrum for quasi lock. would it be possible due to my wrong setup parameter in DFT or tolerances in my simulation?

reltol=1e-5
DFT window size = 1us
number of points =2^13

Mehran

pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2008, 1:09am

Mehran wrote on Dec 21st, 2008, 12:47am:
i do transient and then i am taking DFT? i can not get the correct spectrum for quasi lock.

What spectrum do you get ?
I think you expect one remarkable peak spectrum at oscillation frequency but actual result is very wide spreaded where you can't  find any remarkable peak in spectrum. Right ?
Teach me followings.
 (1) Frequency of injection signal
 (2) Waveform shape of injection signal
 (3) Expected oscillation frequency

i dont have access to Agilent.

Try a driven envelope analysis of Cadence Spectre.
Then observe instantaneous frequency of Nth harmonics you desire.

but can you tell me more about what you are telling by FM signal?

This is same as actual measurement.
Do you have experience of actual measurement ? Not EDA Tool Play.

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2008, 4:17am by pancho_hideboo »  
Mehran

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2008, 1:28am

Hi,
thanks again.
i am trying different frequency. tank resonance is 4434MHz.
my injection frequency is  4444MHz when i expect it to be lock.
i expect my lock range by (W0/2Q)*Iinj/Iosc
my injected signal is sinusoid.
what i expected is a remarkable power at injection frequancy when it gets lock and when it is not lock, i must see a bunch of tone as Razavi's paper experimental results.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=1327738

but i cant get those bunch of tone. i expect the lock rage to be 70MHz , but even when i inject a signal 150MHz away of tank resonance, i still see remarkable power at injection frequency.

i dont have experience on actual measurment. i actually eager to know how they get their graph on spectrum at this

page 24

thanks alot
Mehran

pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2008, 1:41am

Your post is usage of simulator not Design issue.
Please post to "The Designer's Guide Community Forum ≫ Simulators ≫ RF Simulators".

Mehran wrote on Dec 21st, 2008, 1:28am:
i am trying different frequency.

Do you mean your FREQosc is not equal to N*FREQinj where N is integer number ?

As far as I know, oscillation frequency of conventional ILO is N*FREQinj when it is locked.
So I can use a driven one fundamental PSS for ILO if it can be locked.

Have you invented a novel ILO whose oscillation frequency is not restricted to N*FREQinj ?
If so, you can not use a driven one fundamental PSS and you have to use autonomous two tone QPSS although Cadence Spectre doesn't have autonomous QPSS yet.

But if your ILO is conventional one where FREQosc is equal to N*FREQinj, autonomous QPSS is not completely appropriate.
In unlock state, oscillation could be never stationary or could disappear in steady state. So there is no solution for QPSS.
You have to use a driven envelope analysis.

when it is not lock, i must see a bunch of tone as Razavi's paper experimental results.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=1327738
but i cant get those bunch of tone.
i expect the lock rage to be 70MHz ,
but even when i inject a signal 150MHz away of tank resonance, i still see remarkable power at injection frequency.

I can't access the above paper now but I think your result is natural since you do static DFT.

i dont have experience on actual measurment. i actually eager to know how they get their graph on spectrum at this
page 24

Maybe this graph is a result of Max-Hold plot in Spectrum Analyzer.
In simulation using EDA Tool, I can plot such graph by using simulation results such as envelope analysis with chirp FM signal.
Or instead of chirp FM signal, I might use parametric sweep function for frequency of signal source in simulation.
But it requires script to create such graph.
Do you have a skill to write script handling simulation result ?

Rather I'm using plot in page.16 for ILO in both simulation and actual measurement.
It also requires scripts.

But I use Agilent post processing environment, so I don't have to write script.

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2008, 6:53pm by pancho_hideboo »  
Mehran

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 5:39pm

Hi Pancho,
many thanks for your help. I got your point about FM signal. now I can get the result like page 16 as you told me.

My ILO is a conventional one. I expect output frequency to be 1*FREQinj.

but I still can not get the result of page 24. I need that for my application.  :(
can you just give me a hint about writing a script? is there any special language in Spectre?

Mehran

PS: since this discussion might be useful for others, i will ask forum admin to move the whole topic to RF simulators.

pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 8:55pm

Mehran wrote on Dec 22nd, 2008, 5:39pm:
I got your point about FM signal. now I can get the result like page 16 as you told me.

Did you understand an evaluation of an instantaneous frequency by using Envelope Analysis ?
An instantaneous frequency can be calculated like following.

In Agilent Tools.
 Inst_Freq=diff( unwrap(phaserad(out[N]), pi)/(2*pi) )+HB.freq[N]

In Cadence Tool.
 Inst_Freq=-groupDelay(harmonic(v("/out", ?result "envlp_fd"), N))+N*fund_freq_of_Envelope_Analysis

In your case, fund_freq_of_Envelope_Analysis=4444MHz and N=1.

but I still can not get the result of page 24. I need that for my application.  :(

Do you understand
   "Max-Hold plot in Spectrum Analyzer",
   "parametric sweep function for frequency of signal source in simulation"
in my answer ?

can you just give me a hint about writing a script? is there any special language in Spectre?

Almost all EDA vendor's tool have some languages for database, simulation and framework, etc.
You can use language called "skill(ocean)" in Cadence DFII environment.
First you should try manual procedure without scripts.
Here you have to know general procedure of actual measurement for VCO, PLL, etc. using actual instruments.
Many measurements using actual instruments are intensively used in both papers you refered. Not EDA Tool Play.

PS: since this discussion might be useful for others,

I don't think so.
It is no more than simple and common usage of simulator.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2008, 6:59am by pancho_hideboo »  
Mehran

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2008, 10:33pm

Hi,
Thanks for reply.
I know the Max hold on the spectrum. If I plot with different frequency for injection above center frequency and plot the peak of the power at the spectrum, I don't see that flat region in my circuit.The power is decreasing fast, like a normal tank.
Also, I don't understand why we should do this, because when it goes out of lock, in fast beat, the power at the frequency which is different from my injection frequecy is maximum which spectrum analyzer will show that at the max hold.

pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2009, 5:12am

Mehran wrote on Dec 28th, 2008, 10:33pm:
If I plot with different frequency for injection above center frequency and plot the peak of the power at the spectrum, I don't see that flat region in my circuit.
The power is decreasing fast, like a normal tank.
I think this is due to very simple reason that your ILO can't work as ILO.

Mehran wrote on Dec 28th, 2008, 10:33pm:
Also, I don't understand why we should do this, because when it goes out of lock, in fast beat, the power at the frequency which is different from my injection frequecy is maximum which spectrum analyzer will show that at the max hold.
This is also due to very simple reason that your ILO can't work as ILO.

See page-24 of http://www.cmoset.com/uploads/7a.3.pdf
This Spectrum are measured by Agilent PSA or ESA Series Spectrum Analyzer of "positive peak" detector mode not "sample" detector mode.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.