The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what is  Static phase error in cppfd (Read 6796 times)
manisms

what is  Static phase error in cppfd
May 29th, 2007, 10:06pm

what is the static phase error in chargepump and pfd and how this should be measured in spectre
any docs pdf please provide
regard

View Profile   IP Logged
adesign
Community Member

Re:  what is  Static phase error in cppf
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2007, 9:17pm

Static phase offset is the time difference between the averaged input reference clock and the averaged feedback input signal when the PLL is in locked mode. The word average implies that a comparison is made between the input of the PLL and its feedback over several thousand periods, and the resulting time differences are averaged. This method excludes jitter components, hence the name static phase offset.

View Profile   IP Logged
manisms

Re:  what is  Static phase error in cppfd
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2007, 8:02am

thanz Adesign
but will this error includes the dead zone also ???
coz the dead zone is also the cp will active even though there is the phase diff between ref clk and fb clk
please clarify

View Profile   IP Logged
manisms

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2007, 8:04am

sorry active = not active

View Profile   IP Logged
adesign
Community Member

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2007, 8:50pm

Dead-zone contributes to jitter and hence it is not the part of static-pase offset.

Could you please rephrase the line --- Quote:
"coz the dead zone is also the cp will active even though there is the phase diff between ref clk and fb clk
please clarify"  

View Profile   IP Logged
joel
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:22am

If you don't mind me continuing the discussion, I'm trying to build up my intuition for this stuff...

Can I think of static phase error as the equivalent of skew in a clock tree?  Two signals, refclk & synthclk in this case, with a constant offset?

Will a pll have a relatively constant static phase error over a frequency range, or is it really a fixed time interval?  If the latter, I'd expect the static phase error of the pll to increase with frequency, as the clock period gets smaller relative to the offset.  Am I thinking about this right?

How does deadband behave?  I'm imagining the instantanious phase error would slowly increase until it bumps into the end of the deadband, where the PLL will give it a nudge and it will start drifting to the opposite side of the deadband, rattling back and forth so to speak.  What sort of patterns might I see when measuring period or phase-error vs. time?

I hope these questions are clear enough to be worth answering.  This is confusing stuff for me. Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
adesign
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2007, 9:52pm

Quote:
Can I think of static phase error as the equivalent of skew in a clock tree?  Two signals, refclk & synthclk in this case, with a constant offset?

Yes

Quote:
Will a pll have a relatively constant static phase error over a frequency range, or is it really a fixed time interval?  If the latter, I'd expect the static phase error of the pll to increase with frequency, as the clock period gets smaller relative to the offset.  Am I thinking about this right?

I also expect the static phase error to increase with refclk frequency.

Quote:
How does deadband behave?  I'm imagining the instantanious phase error would slowly increase until it bumps into the end of the deadband, where the PLL will give it a nudge and it will start drifting to the opposite side of the deadband, rattling back and forth so to speak.  What sort of patterns might I see when measuring period or phase-error vs. time?

Whenever the PLL is in deadband, the phase error may increase/decrease depending upon the loop dynamics and the noise in the loop e.g. Power supply noise. However, the correction will only happen when the PLL gets out of this band. You may see a distributed pattern of phase error in deadband.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.