The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 4:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
STB analysis of differential circuits (Read 16342 times)
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

University of Parma, Italy
STB analysis of differential circuits
Feb 01st, 2007, 1:24am

Hi all,

I am trying to perform a stability analysis on a fully-differential op-amp; as suggested here and there, I am using the STB analysis with the "cmdmprobe" (analogLib) as probe element inside the differential loop.
The circuit is shown below and is very simple: the op-amp cell includes a continous-time CMFB.

The Bode diagram obtained by means of Result->Direct Plot->Main Form is shown below:

I tried different arrangement and options but the result is the same: as far as I can see the Bode plot is absolutely without sense.
Actually I used STB with cmcdprobe with many different circuits but such analysis seldom returns reliable results.
Do you have suggestion? Do I make a mistake in the setup?

Many thanks in advance, bye!
Cri

View Profile WWW cri.azzolini   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: STB analysis of differential circuits
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2007, 1:48am

have you tried spectre -h stb ?
there is a section on a differentail opamp anaylsis using cmdmprobe (diffprobe in the help). It shows how setting CMDM changes the type of analysis you are doing. By default it is 1 so this means common-mode loop gain, and -1 means differential mode loop gain.
cheers
aw
PS. about you opamp, the inputs and outputs are tied near to VDD by 200ohms ?

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2007, 2:16am

You also might want to use RESISTORS in your feedback network.. as I don't know that what you have is really a unity gain configuration for a differential amp.. (see the Functional Verification of a differential operational amplifier (the cadence white paper)
that paper was written before STB analysis existed. so it doesn't cover that, but
I think you need a real unity gain circuit..

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

University of Parma, Italy
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2007, 2:22am

Thanks all,

ACWWong was right, I set CDDM=1 so the common-mode loop gain was measured; it seems I did not understand correctly how the "cmdmprobe" works: now it is clear and the results are more acceptable.
Many thanks,
Cri

PS: ACWWong, the output stage of the op-amp has an open-drain configuration whereas the voltage at the input nodes are adjusted by an internal level-shifter; sorry but I was in a hurry when I prepared the figures. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

View Profile WWW cri.azzolini   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.