The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two tone TEST to check intermodulation (Read 4654 times)
yagi

Two tone TEST to check intermodulation
Jan 26th, 2007, 6:03am

Hello everyone,
     I am trying to do a intermodulation simulation for my system giving two sinusoidal frequencies at 20Mhz.   But I dont know what two input frequencies to feed into my system to get the output spectrum using DFT function in spectre calculator. I tried feeding 20 and 19Mhz signals and did a DFT with hamming window but the two tones in spectrum are spread into bins on both sides.

Can anyone help me how to do this test and see the output spectrum with two singal tones and intermodulated tones.

Thanks,
  Yagi

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Two tone TEST to check intermodulation
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2007, 7:18am

I believe the spreading is caused by the use of the Hamming window. With sinusoidal signals you should not need to use a windowing function.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2007, 7:55am

and you'll want to ensure the dft is over an interval that is a integer multiple of 1 us to get the right bin spacing for a 20MHz-19MHz = 1MHz....

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2007, 12:37pm

Yup, if it helps, the points are spaced by fsampling/N where N is the number of points used in the FFT.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.