The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:00am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Real World Output (Read 8791 times)
avlsi
Community Member

singapore
Real World Output
Dec 29th, 2006, 12:39am

Can we come out with some new simulation setup,which can give the output taking all factors into consideration.

Like for an opamp,

Common Mode signal,differential signal, noise,power supply coupling,transient behaviour. This will help us more than just check each one individually.

It was just an idea.

Comments are welcome.

Winners never Quit,Quitters never Win
View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: Real World Output
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2007, 4:03pm

With all types of software the trend seems to be to give the user a very generic set of tools, which, if they're lucky, allows them to build what they want.  Also, they'll be able to modify the tools to some extent.  Open-source software seems to be the ultimate expression of empowering the user.  Then again, the user is only empowered as far as they can program.

As for EDA, everyone is busy writing their own scripts etc. to solve their problems with the minimum headache.  You pose an interesting idea though.  It would be very useful to have tools which are customized to common, if not specific, needs.  People spend a lot of time checking things manually, though scripting languages such as Ocean (part of Cadence tools) can help automate such tasks.

The problem is that there's so much variation in what you can do with circuits that it's tricky to provide much more than the basic types of analysis.

A company called Analog Design Automation did some work on this type of stuff and was acquired by Synopsys.  The founder is working on another start-up, though I haven't checked in on them in a while.

View Profile   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Re: Real World Output
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2011, 1:51am

I think the idea is good Smiley. One might argue that analog design is so special, but in reality it is not sooo much, just

references for I & V, power-on reset blocks

amplifiers: audio PA, RF PA, op-amps, transimpedance, OTA, VGA, PGA, level-shifters, voltage regulators, buffers, instrumentation amps, comparators, latched- comparators, gyrators, limiters, charge-amps, LNAs,

oscillators, VCOs, CCOs, xtal osc, temp sensors, quadrature generators, frequency multipliers, dividers, random generators, switches, S&H, T&H

mixers, rectifiers, modulators, exp/log-amps, sqr/sqrt circuit, RSSI circuits, pfd, charge-pumps,

sub-systems like filters, PLL, DLL, ADC, DAC, RF receivers, transmitters, SMPS, dc-dc converters

On each and any there are hundreds of good papers, and at the end what counts is power consumption, accuracy, linearity, noise, dynamic range, etc. within usal constraints (costs, load, supply, temperature, technology, time..).

I think it is not that complex Wink. Just step-by-step.
However, the major requirement is indeed flexibility Cool.

I think it is like music. The fundamentals are just tones with 20...20kHz spaced & modulated in time created by different means.
Bye Stephan

View Profile   IP Logged
JustPavlov

HerrIvanov
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2012, 8:54am

Subject threatened to be interesting, perhaps the stock chips Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.