The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 8:08pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plotting the frequency of a VCO versus time (Read 3690 times)
RFICInDaHouse

Plotting the frequency of a VCO versus time
Oct 09th, 2006, 7:36pm

Hi Guys,

I want to examine the transient response of a quadrature oscillator as I force it to an initial unstable state. I run a transient analysis and I observe the oscillator behavior as it converges to its steady state. During this process, the oscillation frequency changes with time untill it stabilizes. I would like to get your opinion on how to plot the oscillation frequency versus time? Note when I use the calculator and choose the "Frequency" function I only get the steady state frequency. Thanks for your help in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Plotting the frequency of a VCO versus time
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2006, 2:18am

I would use a verilogA block which counts crossings... if you use cadence there is a freq_meter in ahdlLib or try http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/index.html

if using freq_meter there a couple of things you might want to bear in mind: the Nature Frequency blowup limit is default 1G. You might want to modify it to something bigger; and the accuracy will suffer depending on your timesteps... so using a maxstep might help.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICInDaHouse

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2006, 11:14pm

Thanks, that worked just fine!. For you who are interested in this thread, you need to setup the "blowup" parameter of the "FF" above some critical value that depends on your circuit transient response. The syntax and the procedure for doing so in Spectre is as fllows:

1_ Create a blowFF.scs file in your favorite directory and add the following script:

temp quantity name="FF" units="Hz" blowup=15e+09

2_ Note that 15+e09 was the critical frequency for my circuit and you can adjust it as needed
3_ From the Analog Artist, go to Setup-->Model Libraries..., browse for the blowFF.scs file and Add it.
4_ you can adjust the abstol(FF) for better resolution by accessing the verilog.va file of the freq_meter component.

That worked for me.

Thanks again ACWWong

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2006, 11:27am

A simple approach that may also suffice -

Plot the VCO control voltage.

That is going to be proportional to frequency, and show most of the performance issues associated with lock aquisition, overshoot, etc.

Might suffice in most situations...

Shocked

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.