The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Assura LVS debugging (Read 2649 times)
jak

Assura LVS debugging
Oct 04th, 2006, 9:22pm

The LVS debugger reports that my vdd and gnd pins are "unbound" pins in my schematic. I don't know what this means. I decided to ignore this and run RCX anyway, but then vdd and gnd are not recognized as global nets and so the RCX terminates.(i have used gnd as my reference node for RC extraction mode)
Could someone please shed some light on this?

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Re: Assura LVS debugging
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2006, 9:27am

Quote:
The LVS debugger reports that my vdd and gnd pins are "unbound" pins in
my schematic. I don't know what this means

This means that your schematic pins have no equvivalent
layout pins.
Either they are really missing, means you have not drawn them.
Or Assura does not realize them for some reasons.
but then vdd and gnd are not recognized as global nets
Quote:
Are vdd and gnd pins or globals in your schematic.

Are vdd and gnd pins or globals in your schematic.
If they are globals they should be called vdd! and gnd!
in the schematic and they also need a equvivalent in the
layout for LVS and extraction purpose.

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jak

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2006, 1:57pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I have drawn the pins in the layout(they are metal1 pins).labelled as vdd! and gnd!

in the schematic i have used the symbols for vdd and gnd from the analog library and connected them to the transistiors.The drain (D) and source(S) nets get named as vdd! and gnd! automatically.

I even tried redrawing the schematic by removing the vdd and gnd symbols and then explicitly including vdd! and gnd! inputoutput pins.It still gave me the same error.

In the LVS debug, in the "compare" option, it does show the pins (Sch|| Lay) as 2|| 0. This makes me wonder whether the pins in the layout are actually not being detected, as you said.
But at the same time, i have 3 input and output pins each in both schematic and the layout and they don't give me errors.Actually they don't show up in the LVS debug.I assumed it was because that there was no error with it.

Thanks again for your help.

jak

View Profile   IP Logged
jak

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2006, 12:55am

hi,
  i finally got it working!
apparently, i doesn't recognize pins created using "create pin instance"..when i use "create from labels" it works...that's something new i learned.thanks for replying though.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2007, 9:00pm

Hi all,

i'm getting this same error (unbounded pin). Also, creating pins from labels doesn't seem to help. Anyone know what the problem is?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2007, 2:30pm

jak wrote on Oct 13th, 2006, 12:55am:
hi,
  i finally got it working!
apparently, i doesn't recognize pins created using "create pin instance"..when i use "create from labels" it works...that's something new i learned.thanks for replying though.

You are right! "create pin istance" doesn't work very well... I use to create all labels and then click on "create pin from labels" and it works like a charm Wink
mat

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2007, 11:24pm

Just thought everybody should know that for me this only seems to work when the label is on the net itself. i.e. the center of the label should overlap the net, and i think it may even have to be the same layer. Again after that you create pins from labels...

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
adrianh

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2007, 1:51am

Hi, i'm also having this problem when running lvs (unbound pins). Infact, i get DRC errors too (floating gates, but goes away when i select no_erc)

i have tried the suggestions above, using create pins from layers but to no avail.

The problem however (in drc and lvs) will go away only if i use a pad for my pins  :-/.

Any other advice on what i should do?

View Profile   IP Logged
MarcoC

Cesena, Italy
Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2011, 2:43am

Hi everybody,
I read carefully all your posts and I tried to use all the tricks you proposed but it seems they don’t work. The problem is still the same. My Assura tool doesn’t find the pins in the layout giving to me a mismatch error. Analyzing the output log it considers all the pins as unbound pins and turns out an error.
I’ve tried many tricks but nothing works.  
Can you help me?

Thanks,
MarcoC

View Profile MarcoC   IP Logged
gnangotzi

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2011, 1:22am

Hello everybody,
I had the same problem and eventually I've found out how to manage pins.
In virtuoso layout you should have a menu named "Hit-Kit utilities". Drop it down and select "create labels". In the "Layer" menu choose "PIN" and then the destination metal of your port . After pressing "apply" click on the pad on your layout.
That's all.
Ciao

View Profile   IP Logged
VINAY RAO
Community Member

Reply #10 - Feb 29th, 2012, 7:33am

Hello MarcoC,
I too had the same problem. Later i realized that pin and label must be of the same metal (metal1 in my case). So first create the pin by choosing metal 1 (any of your choice ) in create->pin menu. After this you got to create label. For creating label, first select metal in LSW (as label creating menu doesn't have any option to give any metal type) and then name it. It works.

Regards,
Vinay Rao.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.