The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 9:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
current-controlled current source in Spectre (Read 112 times)
ethan
Community Member

current-controlled current source in Spectre
Jul 5th, 2006, 1:17pm

Dear everybody,

I am wondering how I can use "cccs" from analoglib in Cadence to build an ideal differential current amplifier. The cccs is two-port instance, no like vccs and vcvs, which are 4-port instances.

Which properties should I specify besides the " current gain"?

Many thanks.

« Last Edit: Jul 05th, 2006, 6:54pm by ethan »  

cccs.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: current-controlled current source in Spectre
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2006, 2:25am

the cccs needs a probe to be set before it can produce a current which equals current_gain*current_in_the_probe.

The probe is set in the "Name of Voltage Source" field to a voltage source you are using to monitor the reference current.

So if you put a instance V0 (a vdc @0V) between a differentail input, you can use the cccs to produce a current which is X time greater.

hope this answers your query.

View Profile   IP Logged
ethan
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2006, 1:11pm

ACWWong wrote on Jul 6th, 2006, 2:25am:
the cccs needs a probe to be set before it can produce a current which equals current_gain*current_in_the_probe.

The probe is set in the "Name of Voltage Source" field to a voltage source you are using to monitor the reference current.

So if you put a instance V0 (a vdc @0V) between a differentail input, you can use the cccs to produce a current which is X time greater.

hope this answers your query.

Hi ACWWong,

Appreciate your help. Today I tried to build one according to your instruction (attached here). I don't know whether it is correct (most likely no?).

According to the schematic, if I want to sense the difference between the two constant current sources ( two sine waves with 180degree phase shift), I connect on vdc (dc=0v, instance=V1) in between and specify two cccs with vref=V1. But I feel I still miss something here.

In cccs properties, there is "Type of source", which has several options: cccs, and, nand, or and nor. I guess I should select "cccs" option. But how about the other three options? When I click one of the other three options, I find I need to specify the index of the probes.

What I would like to know is that whether I really need two cccs to build an ideal differential current amplifier ? Or I need one cccs enough with several probes selection?

Thank you for your time and help.

ethan

ideal_differential_opamp.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2006, 1:39am

No your schematic is wrong, you should not connect the PLUS terminals of the cccs to the inputs !.

Also you could also only use one cccs, as the vdc probe will measure the differential current.

The following schematic works, and should help you understand the usage of cccs.

View Profile   IP Logged
西楼

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2010, 6:25am

Excellent,I have learned a lot from your reply.And I find that vdc=0 acts like a probe which can know the quantity of current flowing through it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.