The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 14th, 2024, 12:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO pushing and pulling simulation (Read 144 times)
zzphht

VCO pushing and pulling simulation
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:56pm

I have an 1.8G VCO. I will inject a sinesoid inteference signal which is very close to 1.8G, say 1.8001G, into the oscillator. Ideally, two spurs at 1.8001G and 1.7999G will be observed. And the injection locking may occur if the injection is strong enough. How to simulate this?
Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: VCO pushing and pulling simulation
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2006, 2:18pm

If you have SpectreRF you can perform a PSS/PAC analysis and use that to compute the coefficient of pulling. But this assumes a small interferring signal. You cannot use this approach to determine when injection locking occurs. For that you would have to use a transient analysis, which of course is an expensive simulation.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
zzphht

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2006, 3:26pm

Thank you so much, Ken!
The small injection assumption is fine. Actually, I have tried PSS+PAC, but it looks like I can only get one spur.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2006, 12:29am

If you use PAC, then the signal is injected at the 0th sideband, which is say at 1.8001GHz, then the lower sideband would actually be the -2 sideband at -1.7999GHz. It's got to be there because if you perturb an oscillator the response will primarily be in the phase, and you need both sidebands for phase modulation.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
zzphht

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2006, 11:17am

I got it. Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
vivarf
Community Member

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2013, 3:59am

Hi Ken, you mentioned that we can observe the injection locking occur. Could you advise how to do that with transient simulation. I design a injection locked VCO at 30 GHz with injection source at 10 GHz (third harmonic injection). Whatever frequency is injected (even at 5 GHz), the output frequency is always at 30 GHz (free-run oscillation frequency of the VCO). I run transient simulation and do dft to check the spectrum. Thanks.

View Profile veeater   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.