The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 10:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
are there benefits to phase noise? i.e. dither (Read 84 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
are there benefits to phase noise? i.e. dither
Mar 14th, 2006, 5:41am

I was wondering whether it is possible to dither a FM signal at the output of a VCO?  If we assume the FM signal to be a pulse signal, how could one dither the positive going edges of the FM pulse? This brings me to the next question. Phase noise from the VCO will essentially dither the positive going edges of the generated FM signal. Thus, can phase noise be used to dither a FM signal? I guess the phase noise would have to be completely random which it might not be, depending on the source. I was just wondering whether phase noise and jitter are always unwanted.
What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
svensl

View Profile   IP Logged
LowJitter

Re: are there benefits to phase noise? i.e. dither
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2006, 7:06pm

"I was just wondering whether phase noise and jitter are always unwanted."

Nope - sometimes they're just what you need. If you read the specifications for many modern microprocessor clock generators, they require the clock - the frequency synthesizer output - to be dithered. This is done to reduce emissions (or at least, to reduce the total radiated emissions at any one frequency). Jitter isn't always your enemy...

Search for spread-spectrum clock-generator, or check out this paper to see some examples of how it's done:

http://www.iee.et.tu-dresden.de/iee/ge/sfb/E1/pub/2003/krupar1.pdf

View Profile   IP Logged
ccd

Re: are there benefits to phase noise? i.e. dither
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2006, 9:17am

One way to dither the vco clock in a PLL is to modulate the feedback divider and increase its bandwidth to allow this "noise" to pass thru to the VCO.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.