The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 7:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 phase clock generator w/o hidden state? (Read 13972 times)
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
2 phase clock generator w/o hidden state?
Oct 14th, 2005, 5:05pm

Hello all-
I have written a two-phase clock generator in Verilog-A that generates clock waveforms with continuous derivatives.  As I understand it, a discontinuous derivative causes spectre to revert to less accurate integration methods, which can cause problems in high resolution ADC simulations.  I am using the function y(x) = tanh(x) - x*(1-tanh(3)) for the transition, which has zero derivative at x=-3 and x=3.  Unfortunately, x is a hidden state, so the cell is incompatible with spectreRF.  I have other hidden states too since I keep track of input clock edges.  Anyone have any ideas on how to eliminate the hidden state?  Is there a better way to approach the problem?  I would like to have the clock frequency defined by a sinewave input.  I tried to post the module but apparently it's too long.  Still, any help is appreciated.
-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Re: 2 phase clock generator w/o hidden state?
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2005, 7:04pm

Why is x a hidden state? A function that has no memory (present output depends on present input) has no hidden state.  Is x used somewhere else that makes it a hidden state? If so, if you explain what makes it a hidden state perhaps we can come up with a SpectreRF compatible solution. My favorite solution to hidden state problems is to abuse the resettable integrator.

View Profile   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2005, 4:16pm

OK, lets simplify the problem.  I want a module that, when the input crosses a threshold, transitions the output.  I can think of no way to do this without capturing and storing the time at which the input crossed the threshold.

View Profile   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005, 5:46pm

Info on hidden state for anyone not familiar with this problem:
www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/hidden-state.pdf

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2005, 5:48pm

Code:
@(cross(V(in)))
    ;
V(out) <+ transition((V(in) > 0) ? +1 : -1), 0, 0);

Alternatively, if your model is used to drive the RF circuit, you can try using the "instrument_module" attribute, described in http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/?board=circuit;action=display;num=112784316....

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2005, 5:55pm

Hi Ken.  Yes, the transition function works.  But what if I want a continuous derivative?

View Profile   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2005, 6:09pm

I'm using IC5033, so I guess the instrument_module attribute  isn't an option.  What about ignore_state?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2005, 11:23pm

A simple way to generate a two phase clock that has no hidden state and no discontinuities would be to just use two sinusoidal input sources with offset phases.

Would that work?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2005, 3:04pm

The important parameters that I want to capture in the model are:
1) nonoverlap time
2) rise time

With appropriately phase-shifted and DC-shifted (to get duty cycle < 50%) sinusoids I could place zero crossings to get the nonoverlap time correct.  But I would still need the zero crossing of these sinusoids to trigger some sort of clean transition with the proper rise time.  Again, I don't know how I can create such a transition waveform without storing the time of the zero crossing.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2005, 4:42pm

I suspect that an integrator could do the job. SpectreRF has access to the integrator state.  You could integrate different constants, including zero, depending on the level of a sinusoidal drive. You might have to be careful about initial conditions. You might also want to some how work in a period reset to limit error accumulation.

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2005, 10:15pm

If the 2-phase signals should be derived from a sinewave input the best way is to model a divide by 2 circuit, which generate 2-phases with 90 degree relationship. The model have to use two integrators with positive feedback and crosscoupling controlled by the sinewave input. That is the basic model of a two latches.

View Profile   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2005, 11:37am

Ahh, that sounds promissing.  So a divide-by-2 will give me quadrature signals, and I could get the correct duty cycle with a DC shift.  Using a DC shift isn't the cleanest way since the nonoverlap time will depend on the input frequency, but I guess it would work.  Any other ideas on how to generate the nonoverlap time?  What about using a lowpass RC circuit for delay?  This would delay the zero crossings by tau=RC, right?  There is still the problem of generating a clean output transition, but I should probablly worry about one thing at a time.

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2005, 10:53pm

I think also a nonoverlapping clock generator could be modelled with nonlinear controlled differential equations. I used the model for Simulink and VHDL-AMS to model a divide by 2 operating in the RF domain.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.